Ora Redplanet growth shots. Proof of life for 2013

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Corailline, Oct 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes I do run carbon. I am going up the lighting period and see if that helps a little. So I was thinking about it, in 5 months growth is about 1 1/3 inches, so if you look at it growth will be almost 3 inches in 1 year. That seems good to me, but I need some input about how fast others corals are growing.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

AS long as you are comparing RP to RP you will want to know the systems' parameters. If you are at 8 dKH and someone else is at 12 DKH they will have 50% more growth over the same time period.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think they are slow growers. I would use mine as an example but it has gone through so much mismanagement that yours would look like a jet race car.

5. Corailline

Exactly.

So I am hoping others will do growth shots. I can think of 4 members on this forum that do have RP.

Plus I compare it's grow to the other sps in the system. It is growing faster than the others, even the pocillopora.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Wow that is good. Mine didn't seem to grow up just encrust before I started having param issues. My pocillopora and stylophora grow much faster than my RP ever did. In my case it could have been lighting. I had mine near the top of my rocks under top of the line T5HO and at first pretty strong flow. Flow has a lot to due with vertical growth. Heavy makes the coral grow thicker but not up as fast.

7. Corailline

Secretly I convet that Stylophora of yours, well it is not a secret anymore.

Would love to have a piece similar, been keeping my eyes out. I do not want to buy off line. One will turn up eventually and then it is mine all mine. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I got mine from shhhhh Petco. About a year ago. I would say it is 10x the original size.

1 person likes this.
  10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I can't seem to keep my stylophoras alive. THey're bleached out and struggling. Maybe it's a parameter issue, but now that I added the dosing pump I'm hoping to eliminate that from the picture... and it will all come down to the usual, low quality T5 fixture... I hate myself when I go back in time and remember thinking "Wow!! $275? That's a great deal for this fixture!" the only good thing this has are the individual reflectors and bulbs... other than that, wavepoint lights are very, very bad IME.

Sorry, I don't know why I needed to vent in your thread! +k for allowing me to do so ;)

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL Magnus, if they are bleaching then it is most likely a param issue. My Stylo is up high under powerful T5 lighting and is doing well. I have a poci that is mid tank and it is bleaching. You may need to lower your corals to prevent bleaching.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have them at the very top and they were doing alright at first. But then again, I was doing a lot more water changes than I needed. Since I started dosing I've spaced them to a one 20% water change every 3 weeks and the dosing was keeping my water parameters until I started skipping.... no good, I know... but dosing is a pain and anyone that does it, would more than likely agree with me. Little or more... doing this every day gets really old.

I have a 48" 4x56watts wavepoint T5, 2 actinic and 2 daylights, good brand bulbs, gressham, UVL... what was in it was crap, and the fixture is crap too, except for the reflectors. For example, it only has 1 power cord... meaning all bulbs on or all off. This should be my next change once I gather some cash.

Like I said, they're placed up top... I've tried them in different spots, lower or mid tank but no luck. I know these are hard to keep.. maybe I'm not ready for them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010