ORA Purple Stylophora

Discussion in 'Coral' started by PghSteeler, Oct 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Never was going to get into SPS but now I just cant help it. A store owner had a nice piece of ORA Purple Stylophora that he fragged off of his mother colony from his tank at home about 7 months ago. Said in the 7 months it prob quadrupled in size. Picked it up for $27 pictures to follow.

Im really hoping these are an easier to care for SPS unlike most acros. My SPS montipora confusa seems to be doing well but I do not have a 0 nitrate system and I only have a dual bulb T5HO light. Im assuming placement of only a few inches below the water surface will ensure enough lighting for this coral?? Im thinking if I continue to go in this direction another aquaticlife dualbulb fixture will be in my shopping cart soon good thing theyre linkable :)

Any one have experience with this guy? Any tips or information greatly appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

Yes they are. The one I have, I have had for about 8 mo now under LED's. I think they are slow grower, but maybe it’s due to my leds. It’s about mid way down between a sunset and a reverse sunset, with mid to high flow (wave maker brings it to high flow when it’s turns on for "tank day time").

and you are correct about the lighting. put it as high as you can in your tank

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I got a frag of an ORA Purple Stylo from BBrian (local 3 reef member) a few months ago and it is doing pretty well.

I don't take any special precautions, but do have it up higher in my tank. IMO I believe acros and millis are the harder to care for, rather than montis and stylos. Good light/ good flow and I don't think you should have an issue

5. PghSteeler

Good to hear thanks for the input. I am glad to hear its care and difficulty should be similar to my monti. I run skimmerless and my nitrates around 5-10ppm on both API and RedSea.

Coral is acclimated and placed, may move it in the future depending how it does and what my wife thinks. I adjusted a powerhead to increase the flow and cleaned the glass. Pictures to follow once everything settles down. Also after looking online $27 seems pretty cheap for a frag of this stuff other sites are selling it for 50-70!!! I got a pretty good size frag too.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Bingo. I have had mine for a couple years now, and it grows insanely fast (for SPS)...so much so that I routinely frag it once every 3-4 months. I have mine about halfway up a 75 gallon, under 250W MH's and LEDs. My flow is higher than most, but I built it for strictly SPS. Higher flow will benefit it, to keep debris out of the polyps. IME, very easy SPS to care for.

7. PghSteeler

Also posted pictures in my buildthread but in case you guys were interested I will psot them here as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a bad sized frag to start with IMO :)

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Good looking piece. Great buy as well. You will love it as it gets bigger. It grows faster than almost any other piece in my tank.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

You do realise its only a matter of weeks before you're on here asking if your new tri-color setosa will color up more using amino acids, human growth hormone, or yak's urine, whether you should add a third 400W hallide to your 29 long reef, and whether anyone thinks $2000 is too much to spend on a skimmer.

1 person likes this.
  11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Thats a big frag, good deal!

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Yaks Urine does not work! No matter what anyone tells you! :p

1 person likes this.