opion on diy live rock and dry live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by skyvern2130, Sep 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

i wana know what ppl think of

DIY rock (like garf) and dry live rock (like you see on reefcleaners.com)
    i wana know pro's and cons of both.

i already know the con of DIY is long cure time.
    and where can you get like a Coraline algae starter kit

2. Click Here!

3. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

AS for the rock dry live rock is good because you don't get any hitchhikers, bad because you get white rock and its ugly until it gets some color.
    As for the coraline starter kit, I think you have to get some actual live rock to seed the other white rocks. I know a product called coral vital will make your rocks color up faster than norm and make your pod population quadruple!

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Other than the cure time for DIY, the only other difference between them is that you can DIY whatever sizes and shapes you want rather than working with what you get.

Pros for both: no unwanted hitch hikers.
    Cons for both: they'll need to be seeded with what you do want on them.

Never heard of a coralline starter kit, but you can get a small piece of encrusted rubble from your LFS and scrape the coralline off into your tank and let the powerheads spread it around. I started my tank with dry substrate and rock, but with the addition of a few snails with coralline on their shells, I have it everywhere.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Also check out reefrocks.net. Very happy with the rock I receives, and just placed my second order tonight! $2/lb shipped over 30 lbs :) If you need sand, you can also add 40 lbs for $15 shipped. Excellent deal IMO. Their dry rock looks just like Marco or reef cleaners.

6. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012