Opinions Welcome.

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Icon, Jun 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Icon

Icon Astrea Snail

Hello,

I have been watching newyorksteelo's videos on youtube about DSB's, and I must say I am thinking of leaning in that direction for my first system. As far as the size of the tank I'm considering, 65-90gal. For stock I was thinking couple clowns, maybe a blue tang, some other nemo movie fish to make the kids smile, and an assortment of corals after the tank is well established ( LPS, soft, and possibly sps). My question is, why should I go with the DSB as opposed to something I have to siphon and clean such as bb or even a thin sb? Ideas? comments, and concerns.. hold nothing back as I have been researching this hobby for years now, watching it progress in terms of filtration/lighting methods and my skin have been made thick from my military career. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Bump for Icon.
    I'm interested in what the reef elders have to say about this as well.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The goal of a sandbed or not having a sandbed is the reduction of waste in our tanks

Most people don't understand how BB/SSB/DSB all works. OR that there are actual advantages and disadvantages to each set up. It's not about right wrong, or that there is no difference. It's just a difference of approach that has a common goal.

A BB, allows for easy cleaning and you depend on your mechanical filtration (sponges, filter socks, skimmer etc) to remove the detritus and build up from your system. You use very high amounts of flow to keep and debris in the water column to be removed by one of the aforementioned methods.

A SSB Works as follows 1" - about 2.5"
    [​IMG]

And a DSB works like this: 4.5"-8"
    [​IMG]

Now there are a lot of differences in how we utilize a DSB in aquariums. (remote dsb, DSB in a bucket, refugium DSB or DSB in a display.)

Where people tend to screw up is thinking that only one way works. They all work, just in different ways and with slightly different types of maintenance.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I will add, that I don't think you should go in between a ssb and a dsb. Either shoot for about 5-6" dsb or just go with about an 1-1.5" ssb. or nothing at all.

DSB makes for an ugly display IMO... There are a lot of ways to get natural nitrate reduction and increase biodiversity. A DSB is just one of them, and it comes with having to look at 4+ inches of ugly sand instead of more display..

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

As everyone said, either way can work well if done right. IMO deciding whether or not you want a DSB is a matter of planning ahead more than anything else. Once established, a DSB can't be moved or even stirred, so you should really think about whether or not you can stick out the long haul without rearranging your tank or moving it.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Agreed.

I started deep. Quickly swithced to Shallow, 1" on average in my 125 reef.
    I did this BEFORE any disasters, etc. I did this after I reasearched more on the subject.
    Now that I have no cyano, I no longer vacuum at all, just the CUC, fish, etc.

For me it's only alot of LR, a PS, and a large chaeto basket in the water flow in my DIY sump.

IOW, I don't suggest a DSB.

8. Click Here!

9. Icon

Icon Astrea Snail

Hmm lots to think about... From the post from Thatgrimguy, I see a DSB would decrease the dependency on water changes to remove my nitrate levels because bacteria would convert the nitrate into nitrogen, which would be released in the forum of a gas. furthermore, I will certainly have a DSB in my sump...

Todd Sails, How long before the cyano was being controlled by the bacteria/clean up crew in your 1 inch sand bed?

the aesthetics of a DSB are not a turn off to me as I find the natural aspect of the substrate to be appealing to watch the living organisms that reside within, however I know there are some limitations to the fish species I introduce as they would certainly reap havoc on the worms and such that make the DSB possible.

Being in the military, I pick up and move at a moments notice, I have all but condemned myself to moving every 3 years or so... another deterrent for the DSB... let us not forget the inital price of the sand... Jeez! lol

Thanks everyone for your input.

Finally, what grain size is deemed the best for both DSB and SSB, i know for DSB sugar fine is best.... yet for SSB, 1.7mm+?

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

For a ssb my favorite is reef flakes.

11. Icon

Icon Astrea Snail

Is there a reason why? What are the pros/cons of such a substrate?

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I love critters, so I LOVE DSBs....in a tank in my garage. It looks kind of dirty to those that are not in the hobby. I want EVERYONE to "wow" at our tanks.