Opinions and Ideas needed.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by geekdafied, Oct 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I finally picked up that red oak canopy and stand, its 48x18x36. It originally had a 115g tank on it that is now successfully in the wall at my buddies house and up and running. So from reading all of my other posts about the problems Ive had with my 75g, Ive just decided to scrap the whole thing and break it down and probally sell it off. Its a 75g AGA standard with the black pine stand. So Im looking at getting either a 75g Reef Ready or a 90g Reef Ready. There is only a $40 price difference between them.

So yeah, heres what Im looking at doing...

Either one of those tanks, 29g sump, ASM G1-X skimmer(from ardo) good for up to 150g plus its already had all the mods done to it(thanks ardo, lol). I am also going to buy a new canister filter for mechanical filtration and for the spray bar, lol, and its good for a 200g tank. I havent decided on a pump yet. I plan on having either 1" or 1-1/2" dersa with a 3/4" return dualed out at the surface level so it doesnt effect the head pressure. Im still researching the powerheads for extra flow, yall know how I love my flow, hahaha. I'd like to keep using SEIO's but I just dont like the look of them. No offense, but Tunze's are not worth the money, so thats out of the question. My tank right now turns over 33 times an hour, and everything grows super fast and I plan on keeping it that way. Im going to continue using T5HO's, if I go with the 90, I'll add another 1 or 2 though just for the extra umph it will give on the intensity.

Any questions, ideas or comments? Feel free to suugest or ask. Im open to ideas.

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

the asm g1-x is a great skimmer i even thought of picking that skimmer off of ardo great price(even though i already have one). go for the 90 especially if the price is only 40 bucks why not have an extra 15 gallons. and for flow i just bought one of those maxi jet mods from algae free, i'll let you know how that works out. might be a viable option, not to metion a cheap one that can be controlled.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thats something I was thinking about cause it can be controlled, thats another thing Im looking at as well. Im half tempted to just start gathering equipment and then set it all up at once with everything. But if I do that, its going to be a couple months before I get it going. I would like to get the cycle going fairly soon, say within the next month have the tank and cycle started.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hiya geek,

Go for at least a 125 gallon. Looks like you have all the equipment you need to support it. Filter?

Scott

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

but not the stand and canopy nor the space right now. The red oak stand and canopy were freebies for plumbing that inwall tank. New, the stand and canopy was $800. I have 2 locations I can put a tank in the living room. One spot, there is just enough room to fit a 48" tank and the other is 2"s short of fitting a 6 footer. I know 2"s isnt much, but the 2"s puts it either blocking a closet door or 2"s in the hallway, lol. Rather not do either of those things, lol. Plus the spot that would fit a 48" perfectly is right next to my recliner, hahaha.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Also I already about 100lbs of liverock, that I am going to recure cause of the hydroids, about half of it is sitting outside on the front porch, letting it die, and toss it in a stock tank with a skimmer to let it recure. once its recured, then I will be ready for the tank. I've got a 20lb bag of livesand, going add about 40-60 more lbs(depending on which size I go with).

I also plan on having a high bioload, lots and lots of fish. I want a school of like 6-10 chromis. Possibly a small school 3-5 anthias. the put the pair of black n white clowns I have already, some kind of angel, havent decided yet, 2-3 tangs for algae control (trade them back in as they get bigger or toss them in my buddies 1200g tank). Then put in like 3-5 nano gobies plus a mandarin (going to put in about 100grams of pods prior to its arrival). Then Im hoping to get aiptasia so I can toss in a Copperband, haha.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Just so nobody freaks, Im not adding them all at one time. The tang police can suck on my big toe, cause 2-3 2-3" tangs will be fine cause there will be plenty of open water for them to swim.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

anybody else? keep the ideas coming.

11. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

get a nice cleanner crew too.gotta have that to avoid so muh maitence.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I was thinking about astrea and mexican turbos being aided by the tangs and various abalones I have. No hermits, hermits eat glue(seriously) so if I glue anything down, I want it to stay there, lol. Possibly a cleaner shrimp or two. I plan on a cleaner goby.

As for aquascaping, Im hoping to get off my rump and make some pillars. Im thinking I'll have one island (rock pile) and 3 pillars to keep everything open and have a lot of places to put corals.