Open brain flattening and browning

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Bob F, Sep 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I assume I already know answer but just want to confirm thought process and maybe use your response to prove to wife that I need to spend money on new lights. My open brain seems very healthy except that it is increasingly flattening out and losing its green pigment. I am assuming it is due to my lights ( marineland reef capable LEDs. Don't laugh) All other parameters are good except that I am at the end of winning battle with cyano. Here is a picture months ago. Now it lost most of folds and the whole inner part is brown. I can post the today photo when I get home. Could there be another reason? image.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Always rule out water chemistry when trouble shooting.

Yes I do concur it's probably lighting issue, remember though this is not an LPS that needs to be blasted with lights. Get some real reef lighting with placement for the coral not directly under and do not move it up, IMO.

Start target feeding it, a meaty seafood mixture, like rod's or a mysis/mysid mixture.

It's a nice coral, you've intervened early enough to make a difference.

Billme likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thank you Corailine. I believe I did rule out the chemistry and I have been feeding about once a week usually mysis, Marine frenzy or squirt cyclopeeze in now and then. Should I be feeding more? I mentioned the winning the battle with cyano because not sure if that could cause it. Maybe the higher nutrient level before I got it under control may have been a factor but as like a lot of other people with cyano my readings were nearly indectable except for phosphate that got to a high of .25 but with a new GFO reactor it is very lowI am thinking it has to be my lights. I have Green star polyps that are growing like crazy but color has been fading as well. Matter of fact several of my corals (pipe organ, galexea) are growing very well. Just very uninpressed with color. It really makes me think and have been reading a lot about lights and impacts on growth and color. This light has like 43 10k whites on it and only several blues. Just read several post about how the 8 to 10k lights is thought to impact growth while the higher blues impact the color. This theory seems to be fitting right in tothe line of what I am seeing and reading. A matter of fact, some recent post about asking about a lack of growth under certian LEDs and when I went to look at LED layout on those specific models it seems to lack the LED in the 8 to 10K range. Just thinking out loud and making it even more confusing to which light to buy

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Lowering phosphate too quickly and to little nutrients will make corals pale as well. You need better lighting for sure.