Open brain coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by risin, Jan 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. risin

risin Plankton

I am looking into getting an open brain coral. I have 2 sandsifting Gobies and 1 of them makes quite a mess. My sun coral and Caulastrea handle the daily dumping quite well, and I blow the sand off of them with a baster every other day. I wanted to know if the open brain coral would handle sand being dumped on it daily. Also, I notice that most open brains are placed on the bottom of the tank; is it ok to place them higher in the tank? that would get it away from the goby.

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

The sand could become an issue depending on how much it is and how large the brain is. The problem is that the brain will have to use much of it's energe pushing the sand off of it which will slow it's ability to feed and grow.
    One thing to note is that the open brain coral when it baloons up it touches the sand. So if on a rock the rock will not be as soft and could cause irritation to the open brain thus damaging it and not allowing it to feed. However the brain may slowly adjust to the new serfices just fine. I would imagine you would have to watch it pretty closly to monitor it's health.