Open Brain Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by GraviT, Sep 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I was at one of my LFS a couple of days ago and noticed an open brain sitting in the bottom of a basin full of live/base rock. The guys usually keep sick fish in this tank, so I had to ask why it was there. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a hot spot and lots of the skeleton was showing through. It also looked pretty deflated and a pale pink color.

The next day, I went back and jokingly asked what they wanted for the pretty pink piece of live rock. The guy said, "you mean that brain? It's yours, take it". So, I did! Free Coral? Woohoo!

Anyway, a couple of days later, it looks about 200% better, has inflated quite a bit, started to turn red in places and there is only 1 small section where the skeleton is showing through. I'm wondering what/if I should feed the thing. I gave it some krill a few nights ago, and soon after I noticed the red starting to show. Any advice on rescuing this thing?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As long as the flesh remains intact, I would just leave it be for the time being. If you want to, you can target feed it w/the krill or some frozen mysis or brine shrimp but don't overdo it. I wouldn't feed more than once a week. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

4. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks amcarrig, I think I'll take your advice and just leave it be for now. It seems to be really making a good recovery, and you just can't beat the price! ;D

Sorry to see you are feeling blah today! Cheer up!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Free is always good in this hobby!

I'm not really blah....I just like the way the little guy looks :)