Open Brain Coral not Openning

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Dyngoe, Dec 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi all,

I have a large brain coral that used to be the center piece of my tank. Since moving it to a new tank ~2.5 months ago it does not "puff" up like it once did. In fact it only puffs up at night and no where near as much as it once did. In it's previous tank it was on a rock but I read it likes sand so I moved it to my new oolite bed. Could this be causing my problem? I'd really like to get this monster to puff up again.

Thanks in adavance for the help,
    D

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What are your water parameters at? Is there more/less water flow and/or light in the new tank?

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

The parameters are "perfect"? I maintain a stable 9-10DKH with 1.024 salinity. My refugium is huge and I never have any nitrates. Throw in a 1/4 HP chiller on a 46 Gal tank and my temp is also stable. The brain has slightly lower light than it had before because it is ~4" deeper in the tank and the flow is low-moderate. I think the flow was higher before but not substantially.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Could be that the sand is irritating the flesh when it puffs up but I'm not too sure about that. Try placing it back on a rock and see if that works. When it puffs up during lights out, are the feeding tentacles out? Do you ever feed the coral?

6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I recently moved mine about 3 months ago and it also took about 6-8 weeks to open. Now it opens more than ever.
    It may just need to get used to the new setup.
    I found that mine prefers as little flow as possible.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Stress, I believe, is the culprit! Change in light/water flow could be causing stress...the other thing is it may be affected from a neighboring corals toxic warfare!

8. Click Here!

9. Radiography14

Radiography14 Plankton

usually chemical warfare or time is the best answer. If someone moved you and your faimly from a 4 room home to a apartment it would take time to adjust too. With brains at night with a red light you can feed them some brine with a turkey baster (small one)...Keep it fed