One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish FOTM May 2009

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by cuttingras, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
    Siganus unimaculatus
    aka Splotched Rabbitfish

[​IMG]

**WARNING** The Foxface Rabbitfish's Fins are Poisonous and, if poked by them, it could lead to serious injury or even death! Care should be used when putting hands or fingers into tank!

Fish Family the One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish comes from-
    Siganidae

Description-
    Foxface Rabbitfish can grow up to 7" long. The are pretty much the same as the Foxface Lo, except for the dot. Each dot is different on each Foxface.

What is the recommended tank size?- These should not be kept in a tank smaller than 70 gallons. I had mine in a 55 gallon for 7 years, until I moved him to the 135. He's much happier now. After moving him, I can see how a bigger tank makes a difference. He swims more freely and also zooms through the water.

What is the Foxface's care level?- From owning one this long, I can tell you, I've never had a problem with disease. I have found out that he does need to eat more than other fish. He produces a lot more waste than others in the tank.

How does he get along with tank mates and in a reef?- Mine does fine with it's tank mates, though if you are not careful, at feeding time, he'll eat everything before anyone else has had a bite. He's fine in a reef as long as you feed him good. They have been known to pick at soft corals, if not well fed. I have lost one fish to my Foxface. My big blue damsel(?)(5" across) and he grew up together and the damsel was very aggressive, as they are. Needless to say, the Foxface won that battle, but it cost my damsel his life. It was only a matter of seconds between stick and death. They do not do good with other Foxface's in the same tank, tough they are considered to be very peaceful fish.

What are the best water conditions?- Pretty typical of most other fish, temp, 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4

What is their optimal water flow?- Seems to like good water flow and you will catch him most of the day either darting from one end of the tank to the other, like he's racing some other fish, or he'll be playing in the top of the tank, making bubbles. He'll make bubbles then pop them. He keeps himself busy all day. He will peck at rocks and move small snails off the glass, if he's bored.

What does a Foxface Rabbitfish eat? The are considered Herbivores. They mainly like veggies, algae, Nori or seaweed and the occasional piece of fresh broccoli. Mine eats prepared foods too, such as Ocean Nutrition's Prime reef. He especially likes the pellets. He will eat cyclopeeze, brine shrimp and bit of raw table shrimp. Mine has been known to bite my fingers when I'm feeding them.

Where does the One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish hail from?- The oceans around eastern Asia.

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Great Job! I was looking into getting one for the new tank after a couple months.

1 person likes this.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Excellent article Linda. I was looking at one of these for my tank. I am currently deciding between this and the Scribbled Rabbitfish (Blue and Gold Rabbitfish).

1 person likes this.
  5. cuttingras

Thanks guys! I've really enjoyed mine! The do have good personalitlies, though they can be piggies! Definitly not recommended in a seahorse tank!!!!;D

John..The Scribbled are very pretty!!!!!!

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Have you heard anything about the Scribbled? I don't have any practical experience with this kind of fishy at all.....:confused:

7. cuttingras

They're pretty much the same as the One Spot or even Lo. The fins are poisonous. Juveniles will be brown and white changing when they become adults to blue and yellow stripes. My LFS had a juvie once and I thought about it, but I have my One Spot already, so no go. One Foxface per tank! The Scribbled will eat corals if not fed enough. They seem to prefer Softies and some LPS.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

These are great fish. Very peaceful. From what I've read the sting is like a hornet sting or a little worse, but not a deadly poison unless you happen to be allergic to their type of sting.
    The pigs in my tank are the Chromis and clowns. My fox just kinda meanders out and slowly grabs some food... but then he was last to be introduced into the tank. Your experience may vary. One cool thing about them is they can hold their own if introduced into a tank with agressive tangs or fish that don't want them there. Once the get stung they'll leave them be.

10. cuttingras

Like I said in the article, my Foxface kept getting picked on by my 4 1/2" Damsel/Chromis(or whatever it was) and the Foxface stung him. Big blue died within a matter of seconds after the stick. I'm thinking, I'm not going to try to get poked to see what it does or how it feels!;D I am VERY allergic to red wasps, so ya never know!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

so why cant their be 2 in the tank. are they territorail

12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Nice job and that was the fattest foxface I have ever seen. boy he likes to eat

1 person likes this.