One polyp in zoa colony twice the size of others

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Aqualung, Dec 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I've noticed that one of my colonies of zoas has 2 polyp that is about twice the size of others when closed.. I hope this isn't a sign of a parasite. Anyone experience this?

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have quite a few polyps that are several times the size of their counterparts located on the same rock. Different species I would presume. In fact, I figure I have four different species on that particular rock.

4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Hey thanks man.. sorry your sick.. yeah these are all the same species (oreo zoas.. looked em up). There's one polyp, and it's almost three times the others. I lost a few polyps, due to what I think was a snail knocking my yellow polyp frag into it. The ones that died had coraline on them, but they seem to slowly come back, a few I thought were dead opened a little.. they were missing some tentacles. so I'm expecting a full recovery.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

The larger ones could just be older, maybe the original source of the colony/frag for example, or maybe they get the best light/most favorable current or something like that. I'm no expert by any means but I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw the polyps not opening for long periods of time, or maybe changing colors or actually physically looking "bad" in some way.
    I also have some colonies with some polyps that are quite a bit bigger than the rest. Especially with zoas which are generally one of the hardier things that exist in my tank, I'm not going to worry about it.

Also I wouldn't ever call a zoanthid "dead" until I can't actually see it anymore and my water/light is still good, I've gotten some torn up polyps on some of the frags I've bought and I"ve never seen one actually disappear/die, they always pull through, heal up and grow out into a full polyp. ;D

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

that would be my guess of whats happening. if they are opening and looking good dont worry to much

i some get stuck in corner that i couldnt get to, and those poor little guy shrank into nothing.:(

7. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Some of mine look bigger too. I think that the bigger ones are just in a better spot to catch food.

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Cool thanks guys. The busted up polyps seem to be recovering well, I also found an asterina star in my tank a few days ago.. so eighter my yellow polyp stung them or the asterina may have gotten them.