One and Only ?'s

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by Steno1911, Feb 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steno1911

Steno1911 Plankton

I have a 90 gallon tank with a 30G sump that has been up and running for months.

I have zero ammonia, but have off the chart readings of nitrite and nitrate. I have done multiple high volume water changes and can't seem to put a dent in either of them.

Should I start the cycle over with all brand new water? and add ammonia and then the one and only?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I would check your test kits, what's in the tank now?

4. Steno1911

Steno1911 Plankton

Nothing.

Just dry rock and dry sand that has been there for months.

I had thrown in a few chunks shrimp and had it break down to spike the ammonia.

I've tested with different kits and also different LFS and all have the same resullts.

No ammonia, but off the chart nitrites/trates.

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I wouldn't start over, I would get a few pieces of lr and or ls from a trusted source ie: no aptasia or visible algae , and maybe throw a damsel or two in the sump if that's possible so they can be removed easier.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

try one of the live bacterias meant to start a tank, please don't use live fish. i used smart start by TLC Saltwater SmartStart
    i used this twice on 2 tanks...it works.

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

This is a common problem - you have let the nitrite get way too high and the process is basically stuck because the nitrite-oxidizing bacteria do not work well at high nitrite levels. Have you removed all the shrimp and other organics? I would do a 100% water change (you do not have to remove the sand or dry rock) then refill and add the One and Only. Test after 24 to 48 hours and see where you are and then post here and I can give you advice of what to do next.

Couple of other things - stop wasting your time and money measuring nitrAte when you have high nitrIte (above 5 ppm).

Two reasons - nitrite at really high levels interferes with the nitrate test. You just can't get a good reading.

Second, at medium to high levels you have another problem - the nitrate test works by converting (reducing) the nitrate to nitrite. Normally you would have very little to no nitrite so you can subtract what nitrite you have from the nitrate value and get an accurate nitrate number. But since you already have a bunch of nitrite (but you don't know how much) you cannot subtract that value from the nitrate value so there is no way for you to get an accurate nitrate reading.

Right now work on getting the nitrite below 0.5 and then you can go back to measuring nitrate

8. Click Here!

9. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

hello pink4miss - just so you know the "one and only" he mentions in the original post is my live nitrifying bacteria which we like to recommend in this forum over competitors!

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sorry but i have never used your one and only. i just stated what i used that worked.

11. Steno1911

Steno1911 Plankton

Dr. Tim,

All shrimp and organics were removed long ago.

I want to make sure I'm following this correctly:

1. After the 100 % water change, all I add is the One and Only correct? Nothing else?

2. Then in 24-48 hours test. What am I testing for ammonia and nitrIte?

Thanks

12. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Correct - after you refill just add the One & Only. Nothing else.

Again, yes. Just test for ammonia and nitrIte we'll get to nitrAte late.

cheers