Once again, theres a death in the family

Discussion in 'Clams' started by lunatik_69, Apr 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I woke up this morning only to find my hermit crabs all over my calm. It started to decline after the MH light bulbs where getting old so I changed them. After that, it started to come out more but never fully like before the bulbs went bad. Just recently, it was always inside, but the shell was opened. I suspect foul play b/c most of my zoas are semi closed with most of their little tentacles missing. I'm assuming the same terrorist that killed the calm is responsible for the zoas. I havent caught this MF(sorry):furious3: yet, but when I do:uzi::rifle:. Im going crazy trying to figure this one out. Luna

7 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Sorry for the clam dude. Who's the primary suspect?

1 person likes this.
  4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

what type of clam luna ?

And the zoa's ? are any in decline or missing completely ?

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I lost one a while back and it was a slow decline and found out that it had some bugs in it. Tangster was the one that help me with identification of them. Maybe he will chime in and let you know how to take care of it again if it happens.

Sorry for the loss my friend! :-/

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Botie......I wish I knew, when I wake up, the 1st thing I do is to get a flash light and do a recon to see if I see something. Nothing to date.

Wildreef.....you're gonna laugh, but I have no idea. It was blue and purple and was beautiful. As for the zoas, I would have to say both, missing and declining. Again, both the clam and zoas have been recently.

I dont think that it is water quality, but I could be wrong. Luna

2 people like this.
  7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That sucks luna. Not only losing something ,but, not knowing how/why.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Sorry man, Karma for the loss...

As for the felon, go high tech! Nightvision camera recording the tank at all times with face recognition software, have it pinpointed on the corals and whatever is left, then you can find the lil felon and :uzi::devil2:

1 person likes this.
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Tell me about it!!

1 person likes this.
  11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

That sucks:(

Karma Luna

1 person likes this.
  12. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Na i wont laugh, won't do no good to do that any ways,
    clam>is it light blue ? or dark ? sides of the shell smooth or fluted like ?

and in mot so sure' just cause you zoa's were half closed' if none were missing it might be because of the decaying clam it's self.
    Also i'm wondering if the clam had been really bad off ( they do tend to even look good even when dead the first day or so ) they just not responsive and some times the mantle even looks great for a small time

what im trying to say is the clam may have been dead and decaying a couple of days before you realised it , and it' caused the zoa's to react and close up.
    are any of the other corals /fish acting any diffrent ?

I had that happen to me one and it turned out to be a pump was shorted in the sump and killed the clam and made almost every thing close up ' including the zoa's

1 person likes this.