On the right Path to reef?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Vektor, May 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vektor

Vektor Plankton

Hi Guys. First post for me here. I just aquired a 45g tall and am looking to go reef with it. I have been doing a lot of reading the past few months regarding reef systems. I want to know if I am on the right path?

As stated before I have a 45g tall with stand. I purchased a Coralife 2x96 PC light (10K, Acintic, built in Moon light). I have three Maxi-Jet 900s, AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer with Mag5 upgrade. 4'' DSB with 60 lbs Caribsea Aragamax sand and 20 lbs of Caribsea Agra-Alive Pink Figi sand.

The tank has been running for a few weeks with out any life. I am looking to purchase apx 60 lbs of live rock from Gulf View. Just need a vacation day so I can pick it up after I order. I also plan on getting a RO/DI unit soon. I was looking at the model Fletch has.
    I was hoping to get away from a fuge or a sump.

I want to get a reef system with a couple of clowns (not sure what type yet), clean up crew, leather(s), coral(s)and/or mushroom(s). Species all dependant on what my setup will allow.

So to make along post short. Am I on the right path for what I want to achieve or is there anything I am overlooking?

2. Click Here!

3. Vektor

Vektor Plankton

Please disregard the other tank specs in my signature line. That is my FO tank.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I think you can do it like you stated but I am one that vote for more water volume hince adding a sump and refugium would help you keep the water quality up. Jason has just setup his hex 45 gallon I think it is. He would be a great help to you in this area.
    I would also go with MH lights if you plan on having corals. PC lights really don't get to the bottom of a 45 high tank.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Naut's points are completely valid, but if you have never kept corals before, then I think this may be a good path initially.

In a year or two, once you have figured out how to maintain what you have, then you can always get another light and get harder to keep corals.

With that light, you will be somewhat limited in what you can keep coral wise. But since you are just starting out, that's fine, start with low-light soft corals, get comfortable with them, then you always upgrade next year.

I will urge you to get a sump too, for the few minutes longer it takes to setup and get used to, it will pay off in spades. I have a sumpless setup now and it is hard to maintain in my experience. I had to shell out big bucks for a Tunze system to deal with evaporation. You can have a simple float switch in a sump to deal with it, it's a lot cheaper. Plus the sump gives you a place to hide hardware. My tank looks ridiculous with all the stuff around the sides.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

OH welcome to the group here V

7. Vektor

Vektor Plankton

Appreciate the help guys.
    Can the sump be used as a fuge also? If I get the largest tank that will fit under my stand and put macro algae etc... along with crushed coral/sand substrate will that work?

P.S. I love this site. I have leared so mush here.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Vektor...

Looks like you are well on your way...and you are at the right place for questions.

Great choice on Gulf View for lr...give my regards to Dale Barger when you order. He always has taken great care of me.

Just a note of caution...make sure tank fully cycled before making order from him.

I am on verge of ordering another 30 lbs of his great rock for my 120 gal...

Keep us posted on progress...

Rgds,

OmarD

[​IMG]

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have a 29 gallon long Sump/Refugium and I have a 12" x 12" x 15", approximately 10 gallons of refugium section. Set the refugium up with 4" of and a couple of lbs of LR. LR rubble, and caulerpa. Two Sleeper Banded Gobies, 4 large Nassaurius and one Cerith snails, and two Scarlet Hermits are the livestock. I have additional LR in the intake chamber for biofiltration.