? on species tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sadie, Mar 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

So I found out that my 33 gal long is really a 29 gal long, and have been told I really should put any of my desired fish in the tank.

It was suggested to me to get pseudotropheus saulosi. Which I actually like.

But now I can't find anywhere that sell them and if they do sell them, they are out. I have called my LFS to see if he can get them, but he hasn't called back.

Anyone know where I can get these? I am thinking of keeping 2 male and 8 female, but I want to get them as frys, so I was thinking of ordering 15 and hope I can achive my ratio, rehome the rest.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

If you can't find Pseudotropheus saulosi there are quite a few other colorful Dwarf Cichlids. Apistogramma and Ramirezi are S. American and Kribensis are African. These are some of the easier to find dwarf Cichlids

4. Sadie

Thanks. I did look into those, and maybe as a last resort. They are pretty, but I think I read they ahd to have planted tanks. Not too sure about that.:p

but thanks. they are pretty:)

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

They like planted tanks and are kept in them often, but plants aren't a requirement.

Hopefully you find the fish you are searching for :).

6. Sadie

thanks, and I finally found a supplier, but of course they are closed on Wed.:angry:

Oh well. I will call tomorrow.:)

thanks again.

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

a 29g is really small for saulosi's. You will have major aggression issues as they reach adulthood.

8. Click Here!

9. Sadie

:cry: what if I only get 1 male and 3 female? would that be better, or it doesn't matter?:-/

10. Sadie

I will do more research. I don't want to disregard your input and be sorry for it later, not to mention damage or death to the poor fish. But I also want to do it if it is possible.

Thanks

11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

It is possible, its just under regular circumstances I wouldnt recommend it. For mbunas, its not so much the amount of waste they will create but how much swimming space and territory the have. As a rule of thumb, I dont recommend mbunas for anything under a 60g. With a 60, you get a 4ft area where they can swim, you can put on additional power-heads for extra circulation (they love high water flow), and you get more room to build rock structures in. That being said, I've seen plenty of nice smaller mbuna tanks, but ive also seen a whole lot more really bad mbuna tanks under 60g.

12. Sadie

I do understand what you are saying, and appreciate the comments. I want to know if what I'm doing is a 100% no problem, or it's not a great idea, persue with caution. That way I will take extra care to do it right and make sure my fish are healthy and safe.

My tank is 4ft long.:) I am thinking of either adding another HOB the one I have now is actually for a 50 gal and works great, or I was thinking of putting a power head on the other end for more circulation.