? on popping circut breaker.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fishoholic, Dec 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

wish I could help. I do hate doing drywall but am pretty good at it.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

The I would recommend you use a metal raceway product similar to these. I used it in my basement where it wasn't possible to run new conduit. It is available at any home improvement center requires no cut of drywall or wood and looks rather nice when installed. and it is infinitely safer than extension cords and overloading a circuit.

1 person likes this.
  4. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't know much about breakers, do you recomend any certain type/ amps ect? What would be a good breaker for a tank setup with 3 pumps 3 250W Mh,8 t-5, 6-PHs, fuge lights, moonlights,? Or should I run 2 to be safe?

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

If you plan on expanding I would definatly run 2. If you ever plan on putting in a chiller I do belive they run like a/c units or dehumidifiers and those things can draw some amps. But small pumps don't draw too much current. Ballast on lighting can draw some but am not sure what to total draw on a mh unit is. well looked at my mh and it draws 2.5 amps. not alot.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

like to race way idea but some times can look tacky in finshed basement. just depends on basement. Extention cords are a temp. fix and was never ment to be permanant.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Also wouldn't run any thing but a 12/2 with a 20 amp breaker. most common plugs if you get the good kind only can handle 20 amps. cheeper plugs will be rated for 15amps so watch what you buy.

8. Click Here!

9. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Alrighty thanks for the info

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

add up all the amps used to figure that out.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I also have to have an electrician come out and add new circuit to my box....keep waiting until I get more money and then when I do I find new things to buy with it..fish related of course.

But I can not run my MH and my tv at the same time or else it blows a fuse. So I have learned that I can not watch TV during "light" time..once they go off it is on. HOwever if something comes on during the day..I have to record it or turn off the MH..........

I have also decided to not put up a Christmas tree this year as I am sure that would pop mine also...so I look like the fish scrudge of Christmas.....

1 person likes this.