? on favia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Sadie, Mar 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

it has been a couple week since I got my bubblegum favia. I have it on the sand bed in my 6 gal NanoCube. I was thinking of moving it around to see if it might like somewhere new. But I don't know to move it up into more light, or just around into different flow.

I don't think it's doing bad, it's just not doing anything. Maybe it is a slow grower. My acan got 3-4 new heads in the first 2-3 weeks I had it.

2. Click Here!

3. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya favias can be slow growers depending on the conditions you have them under id just give it more time

4. Sadie

o.kay. Should I be spot feeding it like I do my acans?

thanks for the reply:)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you can try to feed it, similar to the method to the one you are using with the Acans. They do tend to feed mostly at night so that might be a good time to give it a go. :)

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I feed mine when I feed the tank. If you squirt it with food particles it usually evokes a feeding response so you don't have to feed it after lights out. Mine hasn't shown a lot of growth in the couple months I've had it other than going from 3 mouths to 11. Mine was bleaching from too much light, so I moved it to a shadier area and it's starting to get its color back.

7. Sadie

do they have sweeper arms or tenticles or anything? I haven't seen it do anything. It gets really puffy and then not so puffy, but that's about it.

I moved it away from the light a little. I have a liquid food called Kent Marine ChromaPlex for filter feeders. I usually put a few drops in the tank for my filter feeders. I just took my tiny eye dropper and slowly squirt it right over the favia. I will see how that works. I'll try it again in another couple days.

thanks for all the advise!!

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I would give the Favia some time... They are very slow growers! : )
    BTW is that your wallaby?

10. Sadie

yes, his name is Quigley. He is very sweet. He has his easter bunny ears on.;D

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

He is AWESOME!!!!! LOL I love the bunny ears!!

12. Sadie

oh, and thanks for the advice. Sometimes I get too nervous, and then sometimes things happen so slowly that I don't even notice. My GSP had faded some and receeded a bit one time and I didn't notice until I saw an old picture and I was amazed at how nice it use to look. Then I changed my light bulbs and it was amazing again.

I will have to take a pic and compare the two and see if it is loosing color.