? on cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sadie, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

sweet, there's one decision made. :)

I just clicked on a different group of cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. I can't believe how different they are. I am really going to have do some research!! I can't believe how many diferent kind there are.

2. Click Here!

3. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

I keep these guys in another tank as well and are my favorite of my current stock list.

Being a South American they don't require quite the same water either and are "fairly" plant friendly. Hell I can't see the bottom of that tank for crypts and small amazon swords. LOL
    [​IMG]
    Picture is from Klaus a fellow member in the local club.

Archocentrus nanoluteus or Cryptoheros nanoluteus (they were reclassified on the genus level to Cryptoheros awhile back but most sites haven't updated..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=131

In breeding dress the female turns a brighter yellow and gets a mask over her eyes (shown in the wild female with fry drop down image). and other then being slightly smaller then the males in normal dress the distinguishing difference is the female has a large spot on her dorsal. (shown in the sub adult drop down image)

They are also a species that is listed with CARES C.A.R.E.S Preservation Program as CP = Conservation Priority: Species suitable for Breeder Award Programs. (Dr. Paul V. Loiselle) and VU = Vulnerable: A species facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future.

Meaning that maintaining and breeding/ditributing these are a good thing.