? on cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sadie, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

The reason I liked the Lace over the THR is that over time the THR lost that wonderful white color and turned green/brown from algae. I did have THR for a while in the tank, I loved how it naturally buffered the PH (African cichlids like high PH) too but the color just got ugly down the line :)

FYI I got my Lace rock here: http://www.azgardens.com/p-755-aag-lace-rock.aspx. It was a little expensive but was awesome rock.

EDIT: nice tanks gazog!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Rocks for Rift lake species for sure..

Again it all really comes down to species and thier natural habitat.. cichlids are the largest family grouping of fish there is and contains many many genus and species.

4. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

wow, this is all great stuff! thanks. I love doing research. And I love the video and the pics of the tanks. I am so excited!!

So far I like the (Cobue), the (Lumbila) and the (Chitande) and they all say Cynotilapia afra before their name.:-/

They are all semi-aggressive and have the same requirements for temp, PH and are about 3" max size.

I want to stay with 4" or smaller because I only have a 33 gal, which gives me about 33" of fish, right? (1" of fish per gal).

If I get the 3" I can have 3 yellow, 3 blue and 3 yellow/bule:)

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Plus they need a good warm temperature. I keep mine at about 82 degrees. You might be able to get away with a cooler temp. Just depends on how the LFS keeps theirs.

6. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/results.php?genus=54

Full list of Cynotilapia afra species for you.. The bracketed potion is the location they are found. Same species just slight differences based on habitat. (Until someone with more degrees then average redefines them to seperate em)

7. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Any of the afra's should do fine in the same temps we keep our SW's I aim for 75-78 on my tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Sadie

I just got back from LFS and they sell cichlids and can order me specific breeds.

I asked him if it was 1" of fish to 1 gal of water like FW.

He said that with cichlids you can use a lot of rock making caves for eveyone and have a few fish or use less rock so no one has a teritory to fight over and get a lot of fish.

Is that true? And which way is better?

10. Sadie

So would a cobue and a lumbila be the same species because they are both Malawi Mbuna? Or are they different species because they are not both cobue or both lumbila?

11. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Same species because they are both Cynotilapia afra Cobue and Lumbila are locations where they are found. Often in cichlids the same species differ slightly in different locations. Rift Lake species are VERY common for this hence why they are seperated out by location untill such time as they are re-described as seperate species by some fish guru down the road.

Malawi Mbuna is kinda generic as it basically refrrs to an MBuna from Lake Malawi. May as well just say an MBuna or a Malawi cichlid.

Make sense?

12. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

What will really mess with yer mind when writing "proper articles" etc is the following..

So most of us be it SW or FW keep Fishes .. NOT Fish.. go figure.. lol..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011