Urgent Omg stn.... Its starting all over again!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bobssecrtsn, Feb 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

So this Sunday was choir day, Change out GFO, WC, Add Bicolor Blenny from QT to display, and test

After finishing everything i was so happy about my tank being stable and sps are finally encrusting/coloring up i decided to get myself a Canon T4i. came home played with it and its awesome.

Monday comes around, hmm.. some sps are receding strange, did not think about it as much

Tuesday comes around, holy crap stn from weird spots. test, everything comes out good. raised the lights a bit.

Wednesday comes. ok this is getting out of hand, Test again. See my Bicolor blenny nipping at some corals, removed and put in frag tank. Remove Frag and dip, No pest. REMOVED 1/2 OF GFO AND REDUCED FLOW

the only thing i changed was GFO, WC, And intiated Zeovit products (AA,C.V, Extra Special)

i rinsed the GFO with r/o before adding. added a little less amount from previous. ( i think i was 9teaspoons?)

and i read here GFO can cause some SPS issues if used improperly.
    My question is, WAS it the GFO? or is it something else?

frag..
    [​IMG]

Heres the frag, dipped
    [​IMG]

My red planet showing some
    [​IMG]

So i removed the bicolor blenny, cut the gfo in half and reduced the flow, raised the lights..

should i do a WC? Get a Polyfilter?

I have a Green Slimer starting with some stn, Hollywood Stunner, and Season Greeting as far as i can tell they all are starting to get some..

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

First off, did you test the saltwater you made up. I know alot of people over the years have expeirineced a bad batch of salt that sneaks through quality control.

Secondly, sometime you can strip your water too much. True 0 nitrate and True 0 phoshpate can hurt the health of corals especially under intense light.

Lastly, I had a small goby that munched constantly on my SPS, so that maybe the case.

This hobby is tough. The first 4-5 months I had my setup everything was bright and vivid, growing rapidly, and showing great PE. Then everything started to die and its been a struggle since.

I would diagnose one thing at a time and then make changes based off you observations . Changing many variable FEELS good because you are doing something, but in the end can lead to disaster. Do you have a good SPS mentor where you live?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What is your alk level at?

I believe when using zeovite products you need to run alk on the lower end.

Sorry to hear this, I know the frustration.

5. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

this was all tested today, and yes i do test my batch of salt when i first buy it, everything reads normally, and i wait acouple days after i mix my salt, then test, and it reads perfectly. I've been doing this for the past acouple months

Ca420
    Alk7.6
    Mg1300
    Xtra 1.5ml Monday,Wednesday,Friday
    Cv 3 drops Tuesday Thursday Saturdays
    AA 2 drops Monday Wednesday Saturdays Sunday
    2ml fws daily
    I use rods food mixed with mysis and I feed them morning before I go to work, I just add about 2 squirts doubly about 1.5 ml? Then at night I turn the return pump off and add 2 more squirts followed by the zeo additives.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Having never used today's zeovite products I defer to those that have.

My instinct tells me that Alex is on to something with too many changes too close together.

If it were my tank I would do exactly what you did and cut down the amount of GFO, I would also hold off on addition of any products except fish food and your normal dosing regime until you see stabilization of the tissue necrosis.

Sorry I have nothing better to offer.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Sounds like a good regimine. Do you have a Hanna ULR Phosphorous Checker?

8. Click Here!

9. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Thanks Cheryl any suggestion is welcomed, Yes i do have a Phosphorus ULR checker, its very accurate tested 3 times with the same results in 3 different reagents.

10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

I will stop dosing Zeo products and i cut back GFO in half as well is reduced the flow.. i raised the lights about 1 inch.. cant do any harm in that can it?

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

All the Zeo you are using are coral foods or supplements and I don't believe they would cause the STN. You haven't mentioned anything about the denitrateing additives of Zeo so I assume you are not using them. If you where I'd say to stop using the GFO.
    But like everyone has said, I'd break up your maintenance a bit and see if that helps

Sorry to hear of your troubles

J

12. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Ugh... Now my acan is showing signs of tissue loss, time to do some large water changes and poly filter... I will be checking ammonia and nitrate also