omg please help..

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mkizla, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

My neice or nephew both 3-4 year old, apperently came over with my cousin when I was at school, and someone dropped a whole can of flake foods like at 2pm. I just got home from school at 9pm, and the tank is pure epic red.

I still see my 2 fish out of 4, I cant find lubbocks wrasse and my coral beauty, please help wth do I do right now, cousin said they will pay for this, but I really dont want money, I just want to keep this alive, and I am not going to be mad at them because they are kids, so help me please

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

siphon out what you can. Water change. Siphon. Water change....... continue until you get everything out possible. Try not to go over 50% in 2 days.

Good luck.

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

do you know if this will kill any live stocks?

5. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

All I can think of is a 50% water change and netting as much food as you can... assuming the flakes are still floating around. Not sure if this would be right, hopefully someone here knows what to do

6. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

i have never dealt with such a problem but i assume a water change would cut down the amount of food in the water body and try to siphon any settled flakes. and a good skimmer will come in handy at this time. i think you should monitor your ammonia and nitrites they will start rising as soon as the food start to breakdown.

7. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

expect a algae bloom or worm(bloom)... my guess

8. Click Here!

9. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

another thing i can think of is if you stop all powerheads and see if some of the food will settle down at the bottom so you can siphon it out. and if you have extra filters with carbon and sponges, run it. any thing that may trap the excess food.

10. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

I dont have water test kits for ammonia nirtate trite.
    But since this happend at 2pm, now its 9pm, there is probably tons of ammonia in there ugh, but will do water change now

Whats a worm bloom?? I was struggling with dino's already though

11. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i think you will be fine.. big water changes, siphoning like everyone said..i would also adjust your skimmer to skim a little on the wetter side..

if it were my tank..i would 50% now..25% tomorrow..maybe 15% tomorrow night..and then maybe a couple days later do a 50%...this is just if it were my tank..but i do things a little different in this hobby

large water changes at one time will lower trate and phates faster than doing a bunch of little water changes..

12. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

You just need to siphon your water out, and since you don't have a lot of corals yet, you do a larger sized water change, like a 75-80%, I assume that the time it's been since the incident, that the flakes have mostly dissolved into the water. Longterm effects would be that the food saturated your rock, and you will experience algae problems. If it were me, I would make a lot of water, and get a couple of 5 gallon buckets, and remove your rock, and dunk them in clean water, set up 3 buckets, and by the third dunk your rock should be pretty clean.

You are in san jose, im in Alameda, if you don't have water, I have more than enough to do a 100% waterchange, but I don't deliver...lol