old live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by iceman, Oct 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

  1. iceman

    iceman Fire Worm

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    165
    Location:
    Grafton, WV
    OK.. i need some help. i have some old live rock that is so dead its beyond saving. Can anyone help me out, I would like to reuse the rock so can anyone know how to make it into dry rock. thanks
     
  2. Click Here!

  3. iceman

    iceman Fire Worm

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    165
    Location:
    Grafton, WV
  4. mdbostwick

    mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,899
    Location:
    Canton OH
    I had the same problem. I scrubbed it with a nylon brush with water from my hose, well water. If you have city water or chlorinated water after that you should rinse it well with rodi and then cure it in salt water. I cycled mine with my tank and added Contiuum microbacter.
     
  5. Billme

    Billme Eyelash Blennie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2013
    Messages:
    1,260
    Location:
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I'm not sure on the dry rock, but if you just want to get it in shape to re-use, I'd suggest first wire brushing it off then putting it in a bucket of circulating salt water to get the cycle going. Change the water a couple times and when the ammonia and nitrites test 0, it should be ready to put in the tank. I've read of people bleaching but I don't like the idea of the chemicals in porous rock.
     
  6. Reef_Freak

    Reef_Freak Plankton

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2014
    Messages:
    5
    First I would do what everyone above is suggested- scrub it with a wire brush. Next, I would suggest soaking it in RO water for a few days. Then I might even do a water test on the RO used to determine if there are any abnormalities in the amount of expected bacteria casualties. Yes, the bacteria will die, but it could in time allow the rock to be reused. I know your pain. Live Rock is expensive.
     
  7. Vinnyboombatz

    Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    6,344
    Location:
    Dunnellon, Florida
    I would soak it in bleach.Rinse well; then allow it to dry out in the sun.
     
  8. Click Here!

  9. iceman

    iceman Fire Worm

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    165
    Location:
    Grafton, WV
    Thanks for all the help I tried the whole left I the sun bit. I left it out all summer and it's rain almost every other day the country is in a drought but we get a monsoon. Would vinegar work as will as bleach.
     
  10. Windy

    Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    85
    Build or buy an algae scrubber. If you size it right, it will take up excess nutrients and eventually your rock will be clean. No acid, scrubbing, cooking or washing, just clean rock. I have taken live rock covered in hair algae and put it into my display with an algae scrubber. Two- three weeks and the rock is clean.
     
  11. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Native Floridian

    Joined:
    May 28, 2011
    Messages:
    4,874
    Location:
    USA
    "I left it out all summer and it's rain almost every other day the country is in a drought but we get a monsoon."

    The issue you might have, then, is that terrestrial critters may have taken up residence in the pores. I'd follow other's advice in this order:

    1) soak in bleach, then scrub and rinse thoroughly
    2) soak in a bucket of fresh-mixed SW for one week
    3) test for ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate
    4) If any test is not zero, replace water and repeat 2 & 3
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Air_Cooled_Nut likes this.
  12. iceman

    iceman Fire Worm

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    165
    Location:
    Grafton, WV
    Yea Mr. Bill.. u have the idea thank you, but I don't feel right putting bleach on the rocks. is it safe. I am afraid that it will stay in the pores of the rocks and will make them poisonous to the tank no matter how much I rinse them.