Okay to let aiptasia grow??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kristiavi, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

I ended up buying a pepperment shrimp today, its worth a shot. The manager at my lfs store said because the aiptasia are so small the shrimp will likely eat them.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Buy another of similar size (they are cannibals) and breed them!

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Definitely worth a shot. Go the natural way before resorting to chemicals. +1.

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Kill em all. i use kalkwasser paste with a eye dropper. i routinely nuke em about 20 every two weeks.. they spread quick in my tanks.
    NetFront/3.5.1(BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; SAMSUNG; NetFront/3.1.5/WAP) SPHM350BST MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

IME, you'll need more than one. 3, 4, 5 etc... For whatever reason they don't seem to eat aptaisia by themselves. I think maybe they need a sense of competition to encourage them to do so. If there is just one, it will just stick to fish food, unless you're willing to starve your fish, but that's not recommended :) Personally though, if you just have a few aptaisia, as stated, Joes Juice or Aptaisia X etc... is your best bet. No natural predator is very reliable, they are more for helping with massive infestations, which you can avoid by killing them manually.

7. vegastyle

vegastyle Astrea Snail

Why has no one has mentioned Bergia Nudi's ? Aptasia is all they eat.

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

That's good until the aptasia's are gone, then what. They die? I suppose you could pass it on to another tank, Ive heard of people doing this.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

And if you only have a few aphasia, they may die off before they ever stumble upon them. Nudies are a slow and expensive option. IMHO natural predators are useful the situation gets out of control, but of limited use otherwise compared to manual removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TylerB

TylerB Plankton

I just clean up my 55g last week with some aptasia x and it works very well. I had a couple small ones in my zoa colony and they seem much happier! I tried boiling water with little success for some reason.

12. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

The 1 pepperment shrimp I bought has taken care of all them =] Guess I got lucky!