Okay to let aiptasia grow??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kristiavi, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Actually, that was a sort of off the cuff and somewhat inaccurate statment. Really, I should have said "If they get food and/or light or they don't, they multiply" as they can also multiply as a response to stress, such as lack of food or light. i.e. your really lucky :lol: Get rid of them before it's an issue. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

I would say to get rid of them asap. Although I have no experience with aptasia, I had 1 majano anemone grow out of a piece of live rock. I let it live and it multiplied to 5 on the same rock. They looked sweet when the 455nm blue leds came on so I left them alone. They never multiplied again until 2 weeks ago they just exploded..... now I have 20 to kill.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I might...I have a peppermint shrimp in there and he just sits in his cave and plays video games 24/7 i guess. because he never comes out! Hes getting fat too because he molts like twice a month.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i think the best thing to do is to get rid of them the natural way like get an aptasia eating filefish or some butterflies will eat them

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

A minute ago you said the opposite. Is what you said before true? Just wondering, since this seems accurate some of the time.Anyway, my opinion is, a live appie is a breeding appie.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

if you must get rid of them, do it like i said... naturally

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Those are both not reef safe.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The fish that eat aptaisia will not tend to survive in a reef either. And they are not garanteed to even eat aptaisia. IME Joes Juice works great and AptaisiaX sometimes, but is more hit or miss. You can also just inject kalk or ca into them etc... that works well. Some people like lemon juice or hot water. I don't care for either, as a think past like Joes juice is more reliable. Just make sure to repeat a few days latter, they don't always die in one shot.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

keep in mind many ornamental shrimp will eat aptasia as well

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Again hit or miss. They will only eat baby appies. On top of that, 3 species of shrimp are commonly labeled as peppermints, but only one eats appies.