Okay to let aiptasia grow??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kristiavi, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

So I have noticed 2-3 very tiny aiptasia pop up but they are soo super small that i have a little chance at actaully killing them. I have Aiptasia X but the needle tip to squirt the stuff into its mouth is actually bigger then the aiptasia. So what I was wondering is it okay to get them grow a little bigger so they are easier to kill??

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

the only reason aptasia is considered a pest is because it can sting corals and multiply like crasy, but it will only multiply if you try to kill it. if it thinks its life is in jeopardy it will jultiply like crazy. thats why i have never killed aptasia in any of my tanks i just get a couple ones that get pretty big and i just leave them alone and thats all i get. if you plan on packing your tank full of corals tho i would kill them, be very careful tho even the smallest piece of flesh can become a new nem.

4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Correct. Try to remove them as soon as possible. Search on the forum and google. There are many ways to remove them. From boiling water to aiptasia x to lemon juice.

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

are u sure they are not hydroids

7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

IME...Aiptaisia will not get too big and out of control in...Low nutrient systems,no getting spot fed and not irritating it. I have had one that has been the same size for about 6 months now.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

If they get food and/or light, they multiply. Get rid of them before it's an issue.

10. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Either thats not true about the light, or i am super lucky! hahah, mine is at the top of the tank under a 150w MH for over 7 months or something and hasnt multiplied once! haha.

11. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah they are a real pain. For the small ones a shot of boiling water kills them instantly. I had one grow to about an inch tall in my pico that I couldn't get to so I get a half inch peppermint which showed some guts and harassed the anemone till it either died or never came out of its nook again.

I'd get them out as soon as possible. They can multiply pretty fast even if they aren't bothered.

12. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

I always treat mine with Aptasia X. I haven't noticed an explosion. If I don't treat I will notice 1 or 2 new heads forming per month. If it was my tank I would treat them.