Ok what the hell???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Robman, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I know that there are alot of posts about diatom algae. I have tried my best to follow what I think is the best way to rid this stuff including patience. I have been using ro/di water and testing with inline tds meter--I have 0 tds. and has been calibrated and tested. I added a refugium and chaeto to reduce nitrates--they are down to 5, I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 phosphates. I do not have a test for silicates, but the ro/di should be taking care of that. I run a reverse photosynthesis 12 on and 12 off. I have a relatively small cuc, but want to eliminate the source. I feed only 1/2 frozen cube daily--alternate between mysis, brine, emerald entree form 2 (omnivore), My sand is pure white, but the live rock is still covered. I had the typical bloom at the end of the cycle, but then it receeded. now it has come back strong. please suggest!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Well lets start here, how old is the tank and what is in it? How often do you change water? List all other equipment or cleaning regimen thats not listed in you sig... Then it will be a lot easier to help you... and relax diatoms are natural and happen to everyone!!

Happy posting!

4. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

how long has the tank been up and running? how many fish and what do you have in there?

5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

more cuc

you also have to realize that the cuc wont do it all
    You have to suck some of it up when you do water changes and such
    also when I had a big outbreak first thing i did was cut back one hour a day of light which helped a little bit

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Stop feeding frozen shrimp. Try something like Hikari Marine-S.

What kind of snails do you have? and how many? Try adding 150 Golden Astrea snails and see what happens.

Also cut the daylight back to 8 hours. What kind of salt do you use?

You can try adding distilled vodka about 0.5ml a day to start with and see what happens.

7. Annie3410

yeah i agree, feeding frozen every day is a little much.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Tank has been up for 3 1/2 months--I have Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Percula Clown, Diamond Goby, Scooter Blennie, Lawnmower Blennie, 3 Damsels (From Cycling), 3 P.J. Cardinals--about 15 Turbos and 15 to 20 crabs--No coral yet as reef is not complete and calcium is low--still learning chemistry. So FOWLR right now.

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Sorry--I forgot--I do 20% water changes bi-weekly

11. Annie3410

not near enough CUC for your size tank. i have 15 astrea, 2 turbos, and 8 hermits in only a 36 gal with 0 nitrates. i would buy LOTS more snails, a few different kinds too.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

thanks annie but where is the algae food source coming from???