OK...I NEED SERIOUS HELP...Yet another tank..Upside Down Jelly

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by schackmel, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

thats right! ::) Got yet another tank set up! But this time I really did not have to do much special...I converted the feeder Aqua Pod over to a saltwater tank and got this. One day I am going to get a real jelly....but until then, this guy will have to do!

[​IMG]

he is an upside down jelly...these jellys are easier to keep then other jellies but still have their challenges. I found it interesting that these things are 95% water, 3% salt and 2% protein. So constant salinity of course is ESSENTIAL. They have 40 mini mouths and usually lie on the bottom of the tank. They are upside down because they have symbiotic algea on their underside and tentacles that feeds them and provides all their needs.

They do have a sting, though most people do not notice it..and they dont sting often. But I dont plan on testing it out!

They will eat zooplankton and require a lot of light. I have read that they are safe in reef tanks, however I would not try putting one in mine...hence its own tank! They are fairly inactive and are poor swimmers. I had to tune down the pump on the tank to almost nill in order to prevent it from getting sucked into the overflow! I have inserted an airstone at the bottom of the tank to help increase the flow slightly. As the flow is very poor and since I am hitting it with zooplankton I will be doing about a 50% water change weekly in it. Again as it is soo much water concentration in the jelly, I will have to monitor the salinity very very closely.

But I figured what is another tank....I wasnt needing the feeder tank that was set up and thought I would get this unique guy (even though many say they are boring to look at, I am liking him!) He has a bluish shade to his bell.

I am already spending all my time on my tanks so what is another one....
    here are my other stuff I have!

[​IMG]

This is Bob my peacock mantis...he is in a 29g with a damsel and soft corals

[​IMG]

this is Viper II, he is a scorpion..he was the one I set the feeder tank up for but he is eating frozen food already! He is in a 12g Aqua pod

[​IMG]

here is Goldie..she is in her own FOWLR tank. She is a golden puffer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is some pics of my 135g reef!

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Nice looking Mantis.

1 person likes this.
  4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

you have some awesome fish!

95% water 3% salt and 2% protein lol wow

1 person likes this.
  5. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

That is so cool, where did you find the jelly?

1 person likes this.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Wow, you actually got something that won't kill you dead with one sting or split your hand open with one hit. Just a mild sting? Come on!!!!! No, really, that is cool. My son was just asking me last night about keeping a jellyfish in my 90.

So what are you going to try next? A blue ring?

1 person likes this.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

OMG....too funny! No blue ring, though the next thing I get is one of those big box jellyfish. However the care of that is too complicated and, well.....I am just out of room and cant afford to buy or build that special tank right now! Will have to get a new house or zoo to live in ;D

My mom makes so much fun of me...she says that the LFS orders these things and then put signs on the tank like venomous just to draw me towards the tank! She is wanting to pay the owner to do that to a damsel or something like that, so I would buy that!

I actually found it at one of the LFS. They say that they get them in occassionally! I have seen them on some website though and had been thinking about doing it for a year or so! But once I saw it I decided it is mine!

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Great pics!!! All you need now is one of those deep sea fish with the lightbulb on there heads... :)

10. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

LMAO!! That was a good one. You of course have to add a snorkel mask a hippo tang and a clownfish as well!!;D

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

That would be an incredibly cool fish to have. ;D

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

If I could find one...I would get it! Trust me I have looked!;D