Ok, I need experienced help

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Robman, Jan 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Awhile ago (maybe 2 months) after everything in the tank had been absolutely fine. I started losing corals. First it was my large finger leather, next my toadstool leather. Then out of nowhere about a week later. My Birdsnest turned white within 24 hrs and I lost it. My Rabbitfish decided to eat every single zoa in the tank. Everything has settled down for the past couple of weeks. Now all of the sudden, my Acro is turning white...fast! This is really getting depressing. Oh about a week earlier, my pulsing xenias, that were growing out of control, melted away into nothing...gone. Please dont ask me about my basic parameters, I have checked them several times. I need ideas quick. Or I am going to have a FOWLR soon. Funny thing is alot of other corals are thriving.......HELP!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not sure what to tell you on the information you did provide. Either something is eating them, a disease is killing them, or your water is not suitable. Bugs that eat Acro don't eat softies. RTN isn't a prblem with softies. You already identified one predator, other than that, the only other thing they have in common is the water.

4. reeferee

reeferee Plankton

OK promise not to ask you about your parameters.
    But, i hope its ok to tell you that they are off.
    sure sign of poor parms is when a xiena is unhappy, or when the coral starts to disapear!
    get new test kits. take water to the lfs and get it tested. :)
    anyone been cleaning your house with chemicals?
    good luck

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

When you say "THEY" are off...what do you mean??? Is there a certain one that will cause this?? IE CA. MG. etc.... I have never changed my routine in over a year. Never missed a water change. Never changed feeding..etc. I am at a loss. After the Finger died. I thought it may have sent out some chems, and that is what caused it. I did a few xtra water changes to clear that. I changed my GFO and Carbon.:confused:

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Why don't you just post your water params, temperature, etc? Not difficult to do. What are your nitrates at? When was your last water change? Have you done anything different (switch salt, changed additives)? How old are your bulbs?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/asap-please-start-here-54456.html

Filling out this form can be surprisingly helpful. Sorry for your losses.

7. dirtysumpguy

dirtysumpguy Plankton

What test kits do you use? I remember there being a batch of salifert alkalinity kits that were off - so your params would test normal but actually be very low. The reason I state this is because it sounds just like your alkalinity is off. When I had xenia I could tell the minute my alkalinity was out of wack - my xenia stopped pulsing.

Take your water to the LFS and get it tested or have a local reefer retest it.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I will post params as soon as the lights come on...also will post pics of the ailing Acro. The strange thing about this is. The Birdsnest that I lost, I fragged weeks before. The Frags are doing great. Also the Xenia that melted away, on the same rock I fragged from, there are baby colonies coming up and Pulsing away. Also the xenia I fragged is growing like crazy. I would think if it were my params. The same species off of the same mother colony would also die...What say you????

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Robman sorry to be reading this thread dude

some great advice above on getting those parameter tests verified as if your test kits are off, your never going to find the root cause

have you made any adjustments to your parameters recently?
    aside from water changing and renewing carbon +GFO , did you take any corrective action on a parameter issue when the 1st of the corals passed away?

I only ask this because ALK as mentioned by dirty sump guy if it increases rapidly can bring on STN in SPS corals

so if you recently tested your ALK and needed to increase it, but did so by to much that could explain both the Birdsnest and acro issues

I honestly wish, I could just come on here and say " this is your problem, do this and it will stop" but I cant, because there are just so many variables in the equation

Steve

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would bet you have a nitrate problem. I went through something similar here recently. Your first order of business is to check your numbers, as posted previously. How are your inverts doing? Are they still alive and kicking, or are you losing them as well? In that case, I would suspect Copper contamination.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Also.....I would like to know the age of your actinics. Yup....you definitely need to fill out the ASAP form that Mission created.....