Ok...crossing fingers

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by TheDuck, Feb 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

LFS guy said we didn't have ich, but something that started with an "o" (looks like ich, but worse).

On my 26gal., we just did a 4 gallon water change, heated up the water to operating temp, pulled all of our coral skeletons (decoration) out and are soaking in bleach water. Medicated tank with Marine Buffer, Stability, and Prime.

We will be doing 2 gallon water changes for the next two weeks and following the medication instructions to a T.

Anything else I need to do?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I have the same thing on my majestic!! It is velvet, and its 100 times worse than ick! Harder to kill, and will spread to all your fish in no time. All I can say is read up on it. It is nothing to mess with, and im scared im gonna lose all my fish to it. Lower your SG to 1.020 or lower to around 1.016 if it doesnt get better. If you have a QT tank, get the fish out and start treating with copper. The bad part though is, your tank will still have it when you put your fish back in. Im still reading up on it myself, so hopefully we can both pull through this!!

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Yeah...no QT tank here. My LFS guy has got one helluva good rep here in town. I think tonight is my clown's last night here. He isn't doing all that well. He spit out his food and didn't try to eat any more. He's hanging low in the tank and just trying not to get blown around from the current. He's not even going to his favorite chill spot.

Mt trigger, on the other hand, is re-arranging the tank and acting like normal.

None of the inverts are acting any weirder than usual....

5. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

If this is Oödinium or velvet then this link shows that you should raise SG, Raise temp, dim lights for several days, treat with copper for 10 days, and stop your carbon. I dont know much about it but I would think you want to look at it! Fish Disease - Velvet
    Good luck!
    -Jordan

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Yeah..thanks for the link. Doing what I can with inverts in the tank. Copper ain't gunna cut it. I need to get a QT tank....

7. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Well I would try everything else on the list first then go to the extreme with copper.
    -Jordan

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I think that page is talking about FW fish, but is the same parasite. IMO you would lower your SG, keep ph, and temp stable to help the fish, and keep the lights off for a week or so. I would only use copper in a QT, but if you dont have any snails, or shrimp in the tank you could probably do it. The tube worms will come back later. Good luck, and hate to hear about your clown they are such cool fish.

10. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Just waiting it out right now. ol' Tater (the Clown) seems to be a fighter!

The little SOB is swimming in the stream!! I'm pulling for the little buddy!!!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Probably Oodinium (aka Marine Velvet).

Good luck and karma to you!

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Well, the clown made it through the night! The trigger is bitting at the glass and making all kinds of noise...hmmm....What's up with that?