oily looking water???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by mikal, Feb 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikal

mikal Plankton

I just got a 10g set up for a single fish and all I've done is cycle it and condition it and the water looks really oily, is this bad or will it solve itself?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The oil is protein build up in the surface if I am guessing correct. If you can get a surface skimmer to get rid of it. If not make sure the surface gets a large amount of agitation because the oil prevents gas exchange needed to keep your tank healthy.

1 person likes this.
  4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

If the oil is on the surface of the water I would try and skim the oil off or just start over.

5. mikal

mikal Plankton

I just added sand as well, do you think it may have come from there?

6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

It's hard to say. Did you wash the sand befour putting it in.

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

2in10 is bang on with this one. You can also lay some paper towel on the surface and these proteins will stick to it to remove them. Surface agitation is your best bet if you have no surface skimming.

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

do you have HOB filter? When i had a smaller tank with an HOB i had the same issue. since the filter only collects water near the sand bed and not the surface and high SG makes dissolved organics rise I drilled holes in the intake pipe just below the surface to help this issue... worked pretty well. if you have an internal filter try to figure out a way to get the water intake near the surface even if it mean turning the filter horizontally.

10. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Your best bet would be to install a powerhead or a spray bar to agitate the surface. A protein skimmer is useless on a freshwater tank (freshwater does not foam like saltwater does) so the skimmer wont pick up much at all. Since its only 10 gallons I would say pick up a small powerhead and aim the flow at the surface so it creates a ripple across the tank.

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel