Ohh zoo's!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by rickzter, Jan 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Hey everyone, got a frag of zoo's that is in quite of trouble. I bought these guys about a month ago, when I first put them in, they came out, a week after, they went in and haven't come out since. Only a small patch opens up and the rest are in and are covered by what appears to be coralline but might be green algae.

What can cause these guys to stay in? I have other zoo frags and buttons and they are out. Everything else is out.

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrates: 0ppm
    Nitrites: 0ppm
    Phosphates: 1ppm
    pH: 8.3
    Alk: High (I know, gotta get a better test.)
    Ca: 550ppm (I know it's high.)

Feeding:

Phytoplex 5ml 2 times a week, 2.5ml once a week.
    I spot feed meats once a week.

I am upgrading my lighting later this week to 6 T5's for a total of 4.2wpg, maybe that'll stimulate them to come out.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The algae growing on those zoos is probably an indicator that detritus is settling on the coral. Do you have enough water flow in that area?

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi CA is supposed to be hard on Zoos. I've been told by a moderately reliable source (I only double check him once or twice ;) ) that 450 is the max for Zoos.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

just a basic question...but what are your other supp levels?

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

No testing on other elements. I clean off detritus off my corals every other day, including my brown spotted shrooms, as I lost one because detritus settled on it.

Only a patch of the zoo's come out, I'm pretty sure the rest are doomed. Man, I paid 30 bucks for them and they're nice! Bummer. :(

In regards to water flow, I get decent flow, but I will either be upgrading my powerheads or just adding a zoomed powerhead.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No zooanthid eating nudibranchs I hope?

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I hope not, as I remember posting a thread on here when I did catch one. But I would think all of them would be in, humm... I'll keep my eye out.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Those buggers lay eggs everywhere so do keep an eye on your patch of zoos and see if you notice any "babies".