OH NO! Possible oil spill imminent on Great Barrier Reef

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by gabbagabbawill, Apr 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

2. Click Here!

3. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

what!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

4. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

This makes my blood boil.

I feel guilty enough just buying fish that get taken from these places.

I don't want to sound like a total tree hugger, but mankind really are destroying the earth.

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

yeah, it could have been really bad... treehugger or not... could you imaging an oil spill in your tank? Consider this wiping out a natural reef... not good.

supposedly they are containing it... updated story here:

Boom will limit any further oil spill: Bligh

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

supposedly is right, 20 years after exon valdez and they are still feeling the effects - I saw a show on green planet last week and they scooped 8" of sand away from one of the supposedly cleaned up beaches and a nasty oily residue stuck to their hands.
    What I want to know is why they were 9 miles off course!

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

This is just sad.. Depressing...

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Way to go CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!! They should make an example of this with SUPER heavy fines for stupidity!!

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

The Captain should walk the plank. This is just unbelievable in this day and age with all the technology that is available that something this mortifying can happen to our greatest treasure. China will pay heavy for this but that is not the story here it's the loss of our beloved fish and coral that infuriates me!:angry:

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

12. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

I have been Stalking this topic of The Shen Neng 1 running aground on "Douglas Shoal" spilling two tons of oil. as of 8 hours ago Authorities are now pumping out more then 970 tonnes of Fuel oil still on the ship.

There are about "250" Workers on standby should any oil reach the coast.

This is a Quote form Mr. Quirk

The medium-term game is the refloating and what we're going to do when we refloat her." Mr Quirk says the carrier is holding together.
    "The salvors have put on electronic monitoring, hull-monitoring equipment and they have advised that they are detecting no further deflections of the hull, which means that the damage has stabilised," he said.
    "We're doing a metre-by-metre check of the ship with the salvors and that will determine what goes into the computer programs in terms of the damage-assessment reports."

" If anyone who thinks this is all over red rover, frankly, they're not getting it right"

In my OP i do not think the captain and the crew understand what "MAJOR Ecological Damage" they cause to Douglass Shoal.

The Captain Mr. Wang said

"They need some more water because the rescue team is consuming the water and food,” Mr. Wang reportedly said. “They need that. That is a problem at the moment."

Still in my OP they won't noticed how big of a problem this is until they go on to the mainland and see how many aggravated/ Angry people in Australia and in the world there are and see how big the fine is which was estimated at $950,000 in US money. I hope this Captain gets his license revoked and fired in my OP.

I am greatly offended by this and how the Captain does not care because i am a diver and my MAIN diving dream is to go to the Great Barrier Reef and go scuba diving on it ;D

Here are a few news links!

Australia Assessing Fuel Leak From Grounded Coal Ship (Update1) - BusinessWeek

Owners of Chinese ship apologise for grounding on Great Barrier Reef - Telegraph