Oh No.....I found a spider in my Salt Tank

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by CODEE111, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

No...not an Ampidop or a Copepod. My tank is filled with those and I know pretty much what they look like. When I got close to it with the magnifyer, it arched its back and backed up closer to the rock it was hiding under. It knew I was looking at it.

2. Click Here!

3. CODEE111

I just checked my rock on the picnic table. All kinds of critters crawled out of it and died.....bristle worms, copepods, ampipods, nudibranch....but no spiders. Kinda scared to open the rock now but will deal with it after lunch at the in-laws.

This thing looked like a spider of some sort. I posted a picture last night of a critter that looked really close.....they called it a Flower Crab. Is it possible these things could acclimate to salt water? The body and legs were really close and I googled Flower Crab this morning found this picture. it is about as close as I have seen so far, in fact, I would swear that it is what I saw. Does anyone know of any critters that look like this thing and would survive in salt water? Since it is a crab, is it possible it was feeding on some coral and got scooped up in my Indo shipment?

Attached Files:

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

maybe u have a rare yeti crab :)

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

with the millions of species in the ocean that have yet to be identified, I am sure that this is a creature that originated in the ocean, but just has rarely been seen in the aquarium trade.

6. CODEE111

I looked at the Yeti Crab photos and definitely not it. The legs weren't furry. Looked more like the Flower Crab photo I posted.

7. CODEE111

The article I read says the Flower Crab is in Alaska. I have a lot of corals. At first I thought it came in on the Zoas but it has only been spotted twice and both times it was under the Mushrooms. So maybe I'm not looking in the region I need. I've been thinking Indo Pacific, now I'm wondering if it came in on something else. I did notice when we moved the rock that there were fine strands of hair (webs?) that were knocked loose.

Hubby is curious too and took the rock out and smashed it without being told to. He has a hope of keeping this thing but I have other thoughts on the matter. There was nothing in the rock except a few pods and 2 starfish that I would have liked to have kept.

I haven't bought coral in a couple months. It is hard for me to believe it has been there at least that long and I never saw him/it/them (?) before.

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

My bio cube is officially empty except for the Derasa Clam and some of my very tiny frags. All the larger rocks, my Clowns, the Zoathinds, my Elegance, Bubble Coral, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Toadstools, ect. have been placed into my 95 gallon. The Zoas were dipped to kill the Nudibranch and the pods are huge. I did a good vaccuuming on the bottom and scraped all the side. Hopefully, this will take care of the spider. If he managed to survive the cleaning and got moved to the large tank, I am hoping my Puffer or 6 line would take care of it. I think I covered everything and am hoping he is gone and I am going to leave the tank like it is for now as an added precaution.

10. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

I hope you get a picture of it! if it's a new species, it can be named after you! haha.

11. Diana☮♥☺

Diana☮♥☺ Astrea Snail

Ooo! How suspenseful.

This post has got me full of suspense. I cannot wait till you are able to snap a picture of the spider living in your rock.

12. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

I believe it should be called " the reef codeeider".