Oh my there must be a thousand of them!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by doylef4i, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It is ok for the clam to be completely submerged when doing a freshwater dip. Also, it is very important for the dip water to be the same temperature and ph as the tank water.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I agree, freshwater dip, then gently scrub the eggs off them. Get a six line or even better radiant wrasse as Steve said. Do you have any other clams in the tank? If so those will have to be treated also.

There are three types of corals that I am particularly careful with when adding to my tank..... first being zoas, I ALWAYS dip them multiple times before adding, second being montis (bad case of monti eating nudis once and lost all montis) and third I scour any clams I get for pyramid snails.

How is the clam looking? Fortunately it is something you can treat!

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

IMO a freshwater dip/bath maybe not be the way to go. It is not going to kill the pyramid snail unless the bath time is extended. The stress to a clam that is already under attack can be avoided by using display water rather than freshwater. Freshwater dips are the ideal treatment for PMD but not pyramid snails. I have gone through every possible plan of attack with regard to pyramid snails and elbow grease was the only long term effective method of reducing their number to the point where only occassional removal was needed. Once a system has pyramid snails it can be almost near impossible to remove them entirely.

Distressed Clam? Take a Good, Hard Look by Chris Stewart - Reefkeeping.com

5. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

That is what I was affraid of.:(I looked last night after lights out and didn't see any.fingers crossed.