Oh my there must be a thousand of them!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by doylef4i, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I was looking at my tank today-as always when I noticed a very small white snail on the underside of the shell on my clam.:eek: I think I know what they are but is it possible they are baby cerith snails?I saw a huge amount of cerith snail eggs about a week ago on the clam so I'm just hoping.Just to be cautious I removed the clam from the tank to inspect it and remove any other snails that might be on it.To my amazement there seemed to be a thousand of them on the clam.They looked as though they were hiding under the edge of the shell not somewhere they would be able to suck the blood fo my lovely clam.I removed as many as I could with a soft tooth brush before returning him to the tank.I know I must have missed some of them because they were just so small.

So all that being said; has anyone been successful in removing these potential pest from a tank for good?If so how?So I was so long winded.
    Thanks as always,
    Daniel

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pyramid snails, google an image. Preditory to clams:-X

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Keep at them and sixline wrasses and Halichoeres family wrasses do help.

1 person likes this.
  5. doylef4i

I was hoping as Dingo was a few weeks ago it wasn't that.Now how do i make them disappear?

6. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

From the sounds of it, they were pyramid snails. Small, white with a sort of spiraled shell? I've never had them but I believe they can kill your if not taken care of.

1 person likes this.
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Examing the clams a couple hours after the lights go off, and placing them in a container with water from the display and scrubbing them and their eggs off and repeating every week or more is one way to cut down on the population.

There is an item called a clam pedestal that elevates the clam off the sand bed and helps to keep the little buggers as bay as well.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I second the 6 line they do a great job of keeping clams safe

1 person likes this.
  10. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i would try a FW dip. but make sure the mantel dosest go in the the FW ( am i right i dont do much with clams)

11. doylef4i

I thank everyone for there help.I will try to stay on top of cleaning the clam if/when anymore snails pop up.
    Thanks again,
    Daniel

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

if your tank is large enough a Radient wrasse is also a great predator of these snails

but I totally agree, manually getting rid of as many as possible as quickly as possible is the best immediate course of action

Steve

1 person likes this.