Oh My! FIRE!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kcbrad, Apr 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

ReefSparky, that looks great. I'll see if my hardware store has a couple of those. Thanks!

And thank you everyone else for your comments! This is a very important topic.

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow Kacy, I'm glad everything's ok!

1 person likes this.
  4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

wow thats frightening. thank god for the timing, could have been worse. glad to hear all is well and lessons learned(the hard way)

1 person likes this.
  5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Glad to hear everything turned out well for you & yours + critters. Could have been much worse. Also as a reminder from my own experience, when dealing with things not meant to be immersed in water...unplug it 1st (I dropped my light fixture into the tank while readjusting it, gave me quite a shock). Two seconds to unplug a cord or twenty min. to put in a GFCI recepticle is worth the time to procect you, your family, home and livestock.

1 person likes this.
  6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

It was great that you was up at the time of the accident. Glad that your ok, by the way did you get that GFCI.

1 person likes this.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

glad everything worked out well. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago....scared the crap out of me.
    I ran carbon in my tank just to be safe after my fire....just in case any soot or ash got into the sump (fire was right next to the sump).
    For the burnt plastic smell that seems to linger....go to the hardware store and buy a product called odoban. It is the best thing to help with smells, especially burned plastic!'

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I tried one of those and for no good reason it would trip periodically. Typically when a MH was starting up, but sometimes it would suddenly pop for no reason after running for many hours. Nothing shorting, nothing dripping, no issues at all. You could reset it and it would run fine again for 8+ hours. I never had any problems / fires / smoking / shorting / etc. without it. Of course you should have a GFCI, but there are no problems with my current setup and that GFCI just wouldn't work for me.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i had the same problem with that particular plug. My predator tank popped for no reason very frequently and i have since stopped using that plug. I have a powerstrip that has GFCI on it.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well I just got back from the hardware store. I bought a portable GFCI outlet. It's not the same brand as what is pictured above, maybe this one won't trip all the time. But I'll see how it goes. Better than nothing!

I also bought some adhesive to mount my power strips to the wall. That should help as well!

1 person likes this.
  12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

WOW! How did I miss this thread?
    I'm so glad you were awake to catch this before it got out of hand!

Another commonly overlooked safety measure is a Drip Loop. Hang your powerstrips on your wall or tank frame so water cannot directly drip on it, then make sure each cord hangs below the plug on the strip so any water dripping down the cord will go to the lowest point and drip to the floor instead of into your outlet.