Oh My! FIRE!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kcbrad, Apr 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, this thread is to inform people about the dangers of electricity around the fish tank. I know it's been preached before about the GFCI outlet, and I am writing this to re-emphasize that point!!

I'd been meaning to get a GFCI outlet, but never seemed to get around to it. Well, last night I heard a sizzling noise and then there was a lot of white smoke.....

My power strip had caught on fire from water dripping into it. Thank goodness I was awake and in the kitchen, because it happened after midnight. I could have easily been asleep. The power strip and some pumps are totally singed and will need to be replaced. But I am not complaining at all about that! All my fish made it through the night with nothing but the heater on.

And thankfully I had just watched an episode of the Cosby Show that talked about fire safety, so I knew what to do with the electric fire - smother!

The house still stinks like burnt plastic - ewww. I'm going to do a water change tonight and go get a GFCI outlet! So all of you that don't have a GFCI outlet - GO GET ONE!!!

6 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm real glad you and your family weren't hurt and that your home didn't burn to the ground!

G F I!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

YIKES! that had to been a huge scare glad you caught it and nothing seriously damaged. glad to hear your fish made it ok

1 person likes this.
  5. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

HOLY SMOKES! (no pun intended) Glad to hear no real harm or damage was done to you or the equip. Yes, GFCI and drip loops!

1 person likes this.
  6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Sorry to hear, I made sure all my outlets where able to be used outside, IE water proof etc... lol

1 person likes this.
  7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

wow, Im glad youre ok.. It could have been much worse..

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Dang KC...glad everything is OK!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

glad you caught it in time! some people mount power strips, to keep them off the floor too.

1 person likes this.
  11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Wow KC, glad you're ok! Def water & electrical equipment don't mix but are inevitable in fish keeping so it's a great heads up from a trusted member.

1 person likes this.
  12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It could have been so much worse. I am SO thankful I was awake when it happened. I think I only slept about 3 hours last night I was so stressed out and freaked. So I'm not feeling great today, but eh. Happy my house is still standing.