Off Topic...

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by MacnReef, Feb 27, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

I just have a question about this board...Who started it, how long has it been running, how many members, are you ever going to have advertisements?

Just give me a little info about this board!

Thanx in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish Staff Member

Hehhe. I started this board. It's been up for almost a year now. At the bottom of the first page you will see some stats. I believe we have 72 members now.

The site began in 1996. I was learning HTML and wanted to write down everything I had learned at fish stores so I wouldn't forget. It looked a little different back then! But the steps haven't changed all that much.

This past year I have been pushing new features in and trying to raise it to the next level. At the same time, although I have a couple small freshwater aquariums, it's been a while since I had salt going (I gave the last one away when the Internet took over my life and I was never home), so I bought a couple tanks and I am slowly (painfully slowly - because I am broke.) getting those going.

Advertisements? Heh. I turned the last offer down when I was rich. But now... hmm.. maybe, but it will never be pop-up hell, I can guarantee that much! ;D

4. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Pop Up Hell ;D

No, I mean like on www.nano-reef.com they have a small area that they devote to advertising. I would think it could bring in some MONEY for ya!

Can't wait to see this board explode in size like RC or NR.

5. Matt Rogers

You can't wait! Thanks. Tell me about it.

Those big boards you mentioned and others all have said at one point that it takes a long time for forums to take off, and here it's even harder because I am not selling anything that would bring people in in the first place.

But traffic is way up for just some smuck with a web site. And it should only get higher with new things in the works. Some members here like Gresham and Karla have great ideas for new content and I will definitely be doing them and some of my own ideas very soon.

I just launched the photo gallery, that should help. Everybody likes those.

Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for joining. :)

6. Matt Rogers

After the new content, then I will think about advertising more...

7. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

no prob! I enjoy this forum because you don't have people that are just plain rude. Nano-reef has a few guys that are just rude! If you post something on NR that has already been asked, some of the people there will tear you apart. I like it here. I am going to try and bring some GOOD people to this forum to ad diversity.

Thanx again for the great board!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Hehhe. You are not the first one to say they can post here and not be ripped on, must be my David Hasselhoff and Gary Coleman 'Be Cool' registration process. :)

Thanks man!

10. Matt Rogers

Gotta go, back later...

11. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

12. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Another question, is there anyway to be emailed once someone has replied to my thread or a post?

Thanx