Off-topic Posts - Please Read

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

OFF TOPIC POSTS

Folks, as the administrator of 3reef.com, I am getting increasingly frustrated with people getting way off topic and posting unhelpful, sometimes offensive and often immature comments. :-[

These do not reflect well on 3reef or the individuals involved.

There are very few rules here. They are...

RULES:
    1) NO POLITICS.
    2) NO RELIGION.

These rules are based on many years of experience running this web site. These are landmines you want to avoid.

And lately, I am starting to think I need to amend this rule set and add 'STAY ON TOPIC.'

There was a time not long ago when I boasted that this was a safe site for the whole family. That this site was unique and different from other aquarium forums. I am beginning to really wonder about this lately and that is really upsetting. :cry:

ON POLITICS:
    If you feel the need to start a political monologue find an appropriate political forum. This is an AQUARIUM FORUM, ok?

ON THREADS IN GENERAL:

If you have something to contribute to a particular thread that relates to the thread subject, it is welcome. If you don't, please refrain from posting jokes or taking an aside and running with it and diluting the thread. This is not helpful and makes the search engine here less accurate. And it might make the new member or original poster not come back here. They are looking for good advice, that is the whole point.

ON THE OFF-TOPIC BOARDS:
    Note the rules of these boards and respect them.

---

I hope this is clear and viewed as fair.

I am not a big rules guy, but I will no longer tolerate violations of the above.

If it insists, threads will start closing prematurely and the individuals involved will receive infractions or be banned. This is not what I wish for. But I will not let this site go down the drain because people cannot act their age.

Please help me and the others that come here every day by taking a moment and thinking about whether what you are about to post is on-topic, helpful and appropriate.

The moderators here are volunteers and I have a few real-life jobs now in addition to running this site.

This effort will take all of us doing our part.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

matt

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

:clapping:

1 person likes this.
  4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I do not disagree with your line of thought here Matt,
    I would like to add to it as I think my Ideas are relevent to the well being of this fine educational form of media.
    * Perhaps if you do not agree with a point in a off topic way you should be obliged to use the P/M (personal messaging) capabilitys of this post. ( Nasty or plain disrespectful remarks would also be grounds for receiving infractions or bannes)
    This will keep the boards the way they were created to be CLEAN & FAIMALY FREINDLY.

This is just another 3reefers opinion....

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

maybe a suspension of acces is a good punishment? banning is too creul in my opinion. i will still help a person with their fish if they called me a wrasse-whole or not, for the fishes sake that is.... Thanks! ummm maybe religous comments and racial comments could earn bans......and politics.....just forget them. Maybe we can talk about presidents and stuff.....but not about republican vs. democrat wars.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

have you tried to PM the ones that are your regular complaints and tell them to knock it off. or are there so many its hard to keep track of.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed. Great point. That would be much preferred.

Banning is a last resort. Don't agree on splitting hairs on politics. Not much hope on that one.

Yes. That is a method that is used. However sometimes you have to go public to address a crowd.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.
    And thanks for support.

This thread is now closed so it doesn't pop up and spoil all the fun around here.

Please respect these rules and 3reef will be a better place.

Thank you!

matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.