Off to A Bad Start, But...............................

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Jul 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

As I have stated before, I got another discus to replace the one who died. I have researched for days & have finally come up with what I hope will be a peaceful community tank. It certainly did not get off to a good start, but everything seems fine now. The minute I poured the neons into the tank, one of my discus killed one. I figure this was my fault. I shouldn't have opened the bag over the discus.Since then, things have been fine. ( no hostility )The discus swim towards the school & it parts to let them through. No chasing, etc.

I also had a bad start with my 2 gourmais. One died when it was sucked up into the filter's intake tube. I followed the advice of my pet store owner. I took small sponges, cut an X in them & slipped over the intake tubes. It didn't work for that one gourmais.

The gourmais, that survived, is staying pretty well on his own right now, but, when the discus approach it, there is no hostility.

Hopefully I've reached a good combo !

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

What a struggle....pics?

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

More than likely the discus thought it was food. I remember dumping 4 neon gobies into my tank with the lights on over the other fishes and one anthias ate one and a clown ate the other.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How long has this system been set up and what are you water parameters setting at as for Hardness and PH ? Do you have ant experience with Discus ? and For what its worth they will eat all of your Neons Its natural food for them they are a chiclide after all I breed and sold them for yrs along with angels I used to spawn my Neones to keep them in the amazon style tank I had set up .

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Wow, new to me. Didn't know that.

7. JMHuss

JMHuss Plankton

I agree with neons not being the best tank mates for discus. If nothing else, the temperatures required for discus are too high for neons. Cardinals are a similar looking fish that seem to be able to handle the temps. That's why you always see cardinals and discus together in planted tanks (including mine). :)

In my experience, gouramis have always turned nasty. Maybe they just hate me, but the gouramis I've kept in the past have always beaten on everything else.

Just my two cents.

Jonathan

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Gouramis are very aggressive and get large also not a good community tank species , I ran a custom either a 10 foot or a 8 x2x2 Ft. Planted Amazon system for several yrs with Discus and Angels and Cardinals and the Cardinals and Neons where more of a food source when the Cardinals would spawn they feed the tank really well and then the angels and discus would spawn . The leaves and or rocks the Angels and Discus spawned on where removed for fry to grow out to sell .

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

heh yeah your neons are gonna be lunch when the discus gets bored :)

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i had a tank full of neons (5gal) and i decided i didnt want it anymore. i acclimated them to my cichlid tank for food :)

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

That puts a new meaning to circle of life.:eek::eek::eek: