Odyysea Lights and replacement bulbs

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by coldshot, May 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have the ODyysea 2-65 watt and daylight and 2-65 watt actinic
    I made a trade with a man on here and he ordered me 2 65 watt daylight straight pin from reefgeek for my fixtue (upgrade to better bulb) so When the lights came in I unplugged the unit and put the new lights in turned it on a few minutes later one bulb blew so I called reefgeek and he asked me to plug it into another outlet so I shut it down and unplugged it again and the still didnt work so I went on with my phisical therapy and a little bit later the other bulb blew. When the PT was over I took the light's out and put the Odyysea bulb's back in and none of the 3 plug's that the light's went into are working. I have everything in my tank crammed under 1 65 watt bulb and I am sure they wont last long like that. The moral of the story is when you upgrade your bulb's make sure they are compatible.....
    Danny

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I do not like Odyssea. I cannot wait to ditch mine. One week and counting. Your corals will survive under that actinic. Just keep it 12 hours on 12 hours off. You will be back in business here soon. PM sent......

4. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Coldshot I have the same setup on my 55 gal and ordered 2 uv super acintic whites and 2 super blue acintics from reefgeeks and within a few hours the whites quit working,I thought it was bulbs at first but it ended up being the ballasts so I upgraded and ordered two ballasts to replace the 4 cheap ballasts.Had to do some simple rewiring but now the only thing odyssea is the fixture and everything is working fine.I have no idead what caused the ballasts to go from a simple bulb change(I did go from 10000k to 12000k on the whites which was the ones that blew,maybe more heat did it?) but I would check to make sure it is the bulbs and not the ballasts as your situation sounds almost identical to mine.

5. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

PC odyssea

Seems like you must use odyssea bulbs with odyssea fixture.
    My ? is were they in fact odyssea brand bulbs from reefgeek?

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Forgot to ask if you put your old bulbs back in to see if they work, if they do then probably new bulbs bad but if they don't I would assume its the ballasts.

7. coldshot

I put the old bulb's in so it is the ballast, is the ballast the small thing just inside of the endcap on the fixture? Where did you order one from? WHen I order what do I ask for? to make sure I get the right item? I am going to upgrade my light's but will want to hang onto these in working order just in case.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

No they werent Odyssea bulb's since another user here had the same problem it seem's reefgeek would post them as incompatible with Odyssea.

10. coolridernum1

Odyssea

Yeah I'm starting to think Odyssea stuff only works with Odyssea. They skimp on everything to drive the price down that who knows if it's even 65w or what have you,,you know what i'm saying?

Thanks for sharing,
    Mike

11. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

I have an Odyssea and I replaced the bulbs with Corallife bulbs and they work just fine. I recomend changing the Odyssea bulbs out..... Just make sure that you are using the right wattage....

12. coolridernum1

from what i was told Corallife is like odyssea,,so we may have a match up for some kind of an upgrade "not much" from what i have heard