Odyssea...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bc219, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

That's what I wonder. If you look at aquatraders they say in the same description that it's a t6 and it's a t5. Plus they never return e-mails asking about it.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I'm kind of thinking I should spend the extra money for something that isn't so "iffy" - plus if I need a T5 ASAP for whatever reason I want to know I can go to Petsmart or buy one online from wherever and not worry about it.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i have never been a fan of odyssea lights. i had a PC odyssea light, it was cheep but did break down in less then two 2 yr. one of the lights didnt work. I also have an odyssea protien skimmer and i have replaced the pump twice, but once was my own fault. so be carefull

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Well after seeing the responses I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to get one for the following reasons.

1. alleged T5 bulb size (I don't want something non-standard)
    2. not UL listed
    3. cheap quality reported by many (you get what you pay for)
    4. lack of ability to get parts if needed in reasonable time
    5. no warranty

Thanks everyone!

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

You get what you pay for..... I would rather live in England and buy an Aquamedic than an Odyssea or Aquatraders-which have had RAMPANT wiring issues leading to shorts and even melted fixtures and FIRES!!

I would HIGHLY recommend against it!!

Again you get what you pay for, and answer this. When you want to upgrade when money is better, what will you do with a light you will NEVER be able to sell, scrap it?

Happy lighting!

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Whoops, I missed that one! Sorry for the repost of info you already know!

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Can you not get Aqua medic lighting in the US??

Aqua Medic pretty much dominates the market entirely over here, except TMC are the only ones to release LED lighting, i've told my lfs im interested in LED lighting but would like to see them set up a reef tank with it first to see how the corals react!

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I am interested in the new LED lighting too, but I can't find much info on it and it's still too new and untested for me to consider.

11. thumper_1151

thumper_1151 Plankton

you could also consider catalina aquarium light fixtures buildyouraquarium.com has them cheep and I have been hearing good things about them. just another low cost sugestion.

12. ~B~Low~HighTide

~B~Low~HighTide Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Actually ,,
    You can use ANY T5 bulb which is the same wattage,,
    if you have the 36" 39watt,, you can run any 39watt T5.

The same goes for the 48"'s with 54watts.

You just ,,
    (unclip each HO connector and move the wire Pins to the inside Holes)

The ouside Holes are for T6/T8 and inside holes are for T5;D will convert to T5 in minutes. Thus you can now use your favorites Bulbs .

Note:
    Ive done this several times with the 36" and 48" fixtures for a few
    friends that wanted a budget Fixture and liked to use UVL Antinic bulbs as well...
    Use CAUTION with a thin flat Tip screwdriver and carefully pry or spread the tab of connector on one side and it will seperate into two pieces that will clip back together once you swap the pin holes.

Last ,,
    you may need to sqeeze the lamp Holders (stainless Bulb CLAMPS) closed a little bit to keep bulb snugg. From what i remember they will clip back in and be a hair loose but not tight like how the T6 bulbs were.

The T6 fixtures arnt problem proned like the Old 2007 or lower NON ELECTRONIC METAL HALIDE units were( Magnetic Ballast and Caps would burst).

The T6 (do not have Quality reflectors) nor do they have a good Mount... But they do come in handy for a Cheap Back up Light which can run ANY T5's .

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009