Odyssea, what the???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Malachi, Nov 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Did a search on ebay for Odyssea products. What is this companies deal? Double End MH bulbs for $10, i though Current USA was cheap at $50.00.

HOB Refugium, $50 compare to $250.00 from CPR. This is the one with the Protein Skimmer.

I have read many debates about their old MH being fire hazards, but nothing really on any of there other products.

Is this company ligit, or selling 100% junk?

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I like imports I can't afford the fancy European stuff so I am glad that there are affordable Asian import available in this country. Some import companies do to it right like Hellolights or Pacific Coast Imports and some do it wrong.

Odysea IMO is one of the imports doing it wrong. Besides the fires(big thing to put a side) there renown for HORRIBLE customer service. The importer has changed there name at least 3 times to switch things up when there name get to bad and there known to post fake reviews on forums in order to look good. If you want to gamble your money go but they are ultra shady in my book.

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Oh yeah and if you order two 10K bulbs except them to match.

5. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Guess everyone has an opinion. I have bought many Odyssea/jebo products-tanks, lighting, UV, etc and have yet to have a problem with any of it. Maybe it has to do with some people have no luck with anything and other do fine with most.
    I bought the newest electronic MH unit and it is great. Runs cool, nice looking design and a great price.
    It's easy to down something, but unless you have personal experiance with it, the decient thing is to just keep silent.
    Be that as it may, as I stated before, I have experiance with many of their products and in fact all the lighting on my display and fuge is Odyssea and my 20 cube is Odyssea and I can get another cube tomarrow if I want at a LRS with a sleek hood and 2x36 wt PC for $80. No complaints from me.
    ALL ODYSSEA/tank, lighting, UV
    [​IMG]

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

appolo, did you ever buy there replacement bulbs. I have read that people buying the new fixture and replacing the bulbs.

What i am really interested is in there HBO Refugium

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

10. apollo'sowner

I didn't read the post but Catalina and Odyssea are different. I have read about Odyssea MH catching fire but I have personally seen PFO dry capacitors melt, fortunately din't catch fire but eeasily could have.
    Odyssea has redone many of their lighting systems and I am very perplexed when it is noted that the MH are now electronic but people don't catch on that they are not magnetic now and can't catch fire. Not you, just the posts I have read before like on reef central.
    My Odyssea MH electronic ballst I can lay on my exposed belly and it wouldn't be too uncomfortable after being run several hours. The top of the MH unit with the quiet duel fans running is even cooler, onlyh slightly warm.
    Like I stated before. I have and do use Odyssea products and have not had any problems to date. In fact I dropped an electronic 2x36wt PC ballast I pulled form an old canopy that didn't fit anything I had to set in in a DIY hood, dropped it in a live tank and after it dried out it is working to this day.

11. apollo'sowner

I don't have any experiance with the HOB fuge. As far as bulbs go I buy them local as a LRS sells them and they are 1/2 price of coralife and others. They seem fine too me. My corals are awesome and grow like crazy. I have only replaced a few PC though. They generally last about a year unless I break them, which I do a lot of as I am always trying to improve things and end up saying 'should have just left it alone', I'm one of those type. Terrible especially when it comes to 35mm camera equipement.