Odyssea vs AquaticLife

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Zechenia, Mar 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a lighting question for my 28 gallon bowfront tank.
    Should I go with the Odyssea 24" 96W (4x 24W) T5 HO Light Fixture or the AquaticLife T5HO 4x24.

I have decided I want to go with t5 lights. I originally was set on the AquaticLife lights. However, I stumbled into the Odyssea lights, that look very similar (both are 4 bulb set ups with moonlights). However, the Odyssea one is literally about a forth the price. The aquaticLife light comes with a built in timer. However, the Odyssea has individual cords, and the price difference would allow me to get the Reef Keeper Light to use as a timer (and, shortly after as an ATO) and still be in $100 less than the AquaticLife setup.

Would I regret it if I went with the Odyssea fixture from aquatraders? I dont want to take an option because "it's cheaper." But if I will get about the same performace, I think the reef keeper light option might be best?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Its not even close to a contest. Aquaticlife is far better quality then Odyssea

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would go with the Aquaticlife. Hands down the quality of reflectors and durability difference will make it worth it not to mention the quality of the bulbs that it will come with. If you do go with the Odyssea, I woudl factor in replacing the bulbs now, because theirs really don't put out that much power.

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I had to do this b4 for a gentlmen. We have a couple units out here weve done experiments on. If you really want to save money and get the cheaper fixture, I would check out Fishneedit.com, They have t5 fixtures that we like alot, probably better than odyessea. and I believe fairly priced.

6. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks for the input.

I am not needing to save money, but it's always a good thing! Not willing to sacrifice quality for a buck though :)

I didnt know anything about aquaticlife, so that's why I thought the question was worth asking! Thanks

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

They're not as well known as some of the other companies yet, but as far as quality goes, they are top notch. We have one of almost all their fixtures running in our store seven days a week and have not had a single problem yet. Their timers are easy to use and having one cord for all your lights is priceless! I'm also running one on my tank at home that replaced an Odyssea, and I would never go back.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

+1. Active cooling, nice reflectors, individiual power cord and the moonlights are an added bonus that truly cant be spoke for until you see them on.

Only thing I would disagree a tad on is the bulbs. the 10k are ok and the atnic blues are ok but after 3 months lose tremendous par. This fixture with some ATI, or giessman bulbs though is top notch quality. but even if you dont want to buy new bulbs, the stock ones are good but i would look to replace after 3 months.

10. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

I've been running the AquaticLife T5HO 4x48 for the last six month and have no complaints it is well made and well worth the money

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

fishneedit.com is also one of the cheaper light competitors.

12. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I'd suggest the Odyssea Fixture and the RKL. I currently have 3 of these fixtures with a 72" on it's way and great success with each. Run your preferred bulbs and you'll appreciate the savings.