Odyssea t5

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by nwfd1725, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

i was looking on some comments and reviews on a 48" t5 light from odyssea they sale them a lot on ebay was wondering what people think or if any of you have just got one an like them thank you please comment i read about the mh lights from them but didnt hear much on the t5s

2. Click Here!

3. rothany206

rothany206 Spaghetti Worm

check aquatraders.com they sell them there

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Not sure about the T5's by Odyssea but so far I'm pleased with the Metal Halide system I purchased from an ebay seller hombby by Odyssea. Not the best quality ballasts but an upgrade down the road will make it a good light.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Odyssea does not make high quality fixtures. In fact, I would venture to comment that they are on the low end...waaaaay low. With lighting, you get what you pay for. The reflectors, wiring, connectors, ballasts, bulbs....everything. The cheap fixtures are just that. Cheap. Here are my top three 4x54W in order of preference.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/48_inch__6x54W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_ATI

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO Aquariuim Light Fixtures

The first two come with high end bulbs. The last one does not. It comes with bulbs, but they are not the best in the world. Also, the NEP is a 6x54W. The 4x54W does not have individual reflectors. That is key.

6. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

thank you for your advise and help i will look into these other lights

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Of the three the TEKs are probably the most economical. When I upgrade, this is what I am going to get. When looking into T5 bulbs, check out Giesemann and UVL.

Also, Sunlight Supply makes a good MH light called Maristar. Good quality there also.

8. Click Here!

9. lilandscaper

lilandscaper Plankton

odyssea metal halide w/power compacts

I have an odyssea 3X250w metal halide with 4 96w power compact for about a year now. Works great. Not built like a tank but it does the job, no problems. For the price you cant beat it. It does get hot, but as do any metal halide systems. Mainly because mine is housed inside of a canopy. I added some squirrel cage fans and it keeps it perfect. If you dont believe me, you can ask my corals. Most have exploded since adding the light going from an underpowered t5 system.

10. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

When it comes to lighting this is what I always post:

The bottom line is, never penny pinch when it comes to lighting. Get the best you can afford and if you can't afford the best now your better off saving up and getting it later.

However, I did start with an Odyssea T5 4x54 light fixture. That was when i just had FOWLR tank. Now that I moved into starting a reef tank I also upgraded to an ATI 6x54 fixture (I saved up for months, $50 a paycheck). Mind you my tank is a 55 gallon, so the lighting right now is more than enough. Basically I went from the bottom fixture to the top without trying anything in between. Just start saving instead of going cheap.

To answer your question. I had no problems with my Odyssea T5 fixture the entire 6 months I owned it.

11. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I like my 48 t5 odyssea. Ive had no problems. You do get what you pay for. the light work. when they go out i will upgrade. the fixture works great. dont buy it on ebay. save about $80 and get it from the supplier. Again i like mine. If you are going to get one then change out the bulbs and the balasts then you might as well buy one of the expensive 800 ones or create your own.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

had them they don't put out as much light(halides probably 2/3's as much) as other fixtures or retrofit kits on the market but they are extremely cheap.

personally I would buy the better fixture if you can afford it at all.