Odyssea Power Compact Light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Khalid, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and i just wish i would have know about thins site back when i fist started! It would have def. saved me some headaches :)

I have the Odyssea 260 Watt 48 inch PC light on my 33 gallon long reef tank and was wondering if any who has that fixture has replaced the ballast or bulbs and has seen a different in light quality and overall coral hapiness?

I have had the light since I started that tank back in October(I think) and it has been working great but i am not sure how great the light spectrum is compared to other fictures. I have been looking into buying new current usa ballast for it but wanted to see if it would make a difference. Any one have any experiences or know of anyone who has?

and another thing can the Current USA Ballasts run a straight 4 pin bulb? I couldnt find a site anywhere that specified.

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i have the same fixture and i have to ask, did you replace bulbs when you got it.? the FREE bulbs that come with it are crap...........so i switched to halides and never regretted. im not sure ballast would make much difference in a PC fixture. mainly bulbs.............

4. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

no i have not replaced the bulbs yet, did you notice a big difference when you did that and what bulbs do you guys recomend. I would love to go with meatal halides but do to my budget currently since i am saving up for a house i have to hold off on that :( What are the best brand bulbs out that i should look into? And thanks for the quick reply ;D

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i never did, as i replaced my entire light setup 4 months into use.......current and powerpaq are good bulbs. you may want two actinic and 2 10000k or 6700k daylight lamps. the 10000k are a white color and the 6700 are a yellowish, similar to that of the sun outside.

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Compact Fluorescent Straight Pin Bulbs
    The 65watt straight pin Actinic 03's here are good,

and then just look into the color of daylight bulbs you want ;)

6. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

Great Thanks :)

I don't blame you for switching over to metal halides i would love to soon.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I wouldnt have switched had i not found a great deal on a PFO dual 250 ballast with sockets and reflectors!

8. Click Here!

9. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

I ended up ordering 2 x Current USA 65w Dual Daylight Power Compact Lamps and 2 x Current USA 65w Dual Actinic Power Compact Lamps just because thats what is in my aquapod and everything i put in there always seems to be happy. The bulbs came in this past monday and have been on since. I noticed a difference and already some of my corals look happier but i'll keep updating as time goes on. Hope fully this will stop my hammer from dying now :(

10. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

Ok guys new update whether you like it or not ;) I def. recomend for anyone who has the same lighting as me to replace the original bulbs that came with it. It seems to be a worlds of a difference for the corals! I have leather coral that was in my 12 gallon aquapod untill i had to take it out and put it in my 33 gallon long setup because it just grew too large. Ever since i put it in that tank it had been shrivelling more and more as the weeks went by to the point where it looked like it was dying. Now with the new bulbs it looks healthy again and with each passing day going back to the shape it was in when i had it in my Aquapod. Also, all the other coral in the tank look alot better and healthier specially my torche coral it is loving it ;D

Hope this info helps someone else with the same lighting and having problems with corals not being too happy.

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

12. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

That you did my friend and my tank and I thank you very much ;D