Odyssea Lights in 2008

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ChicagoReefOne, Dec 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChicagoReefOne

ChicagoReefOne Flamingo Tongue

At the risk of being the new member that starts a redundant thread . . .

I am planning on beginning a thirty gallon reef tank and want to get a metal halide/T5 combo hood and was thinking of the Odyssea ones available through several sources.

It seems like there is confusion with this company, some confusing it with Jebo or apparently it is Jebo in another incarnation. I couldn't find a corporate website which makes me suspicious.

I've read through all of the back posts about people's experience and it seems like getting these hoods is a gamble, so I was wondering if anyone from those previous conversations is still using the lights or if anyone else has had first person experience with them.

Any size Odyssea MH/T5 info would be great. There seem to be several generations out there, so the more info the better. Those lights are all over out there and it'd be great to have info from '08 (a lot of the posts are '06).

Thanks1

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

:book2:I have Odyssea 175 MH with 96W actinics.
    I bought used with my aquarium. Maybe some things have improved, but I wouldn't by another one.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if you type odyssea into the search function on this sight there is 154 threads on it.happy readding.welcome to 3reef

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the mh/pc combo. My opinion is it is junk and I was ripped. However, buy the light with the plan on upgrading everything and compare pricing to another brand. The bulbs are junk that come stock(that's 6 bulbs for me). The ballasts don't fire up the new mh bulbs. That's 2 new ballasts. And as of a couple of days ago, my pc's took a crap on me. Not quite sure what has happened there yet. I haven't looked into it. So, I have decided(I think) to add a t-5 retro kit to mine. And my pc's almost potentially could have started a fire. And I'm also trying to get a hold of the manufacturer. I'm being blown off by my lfs that I bought the lights from. Apparently the manufacturer is in China and no-one speaks any english. Which I think is BS. If you add all the factors together and compare pricing, you are actually building a decent light.

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Trust your instincts.

7. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I have the 260w PC 2008 version, it seems to be doing fine so far. It does run a little warm for my likes but the light from it is nice for now. We will see after running it hard for a couple of months before I give it the it is a decent fixture but so far so good.

In my opinion it was well worth the 99 bucks I paid

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

WOW, this is a very debated topic with many different exp.'s. Like I've said before, they are not the best units out there and yes, they are a gamble. But are not bad for the money. I have the 06' model and this is how I look at it. My unit was $329.(shipped), 2 new MH ballasts from IceCap $260.00, replacement of the internal cooling fans(4)-$20.

+20
    -------

Forget about the bulbs b/c thats a wear & tear items. The same unit made by Coralife sells for $1100. Im still ahead by $500. It helps if you are a handy kind of person and a basic knowledge of elec. I havent gone through what Mission has but I dont blame him for his frustration. Bottom line is, if your willing to roll up your sleeves and take the unit apart from time to time, are good with your hands and understand how elec. works, get the Odyssea. If not, then just save up the money and buy the $1100. one.

[SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Not worth the haslle to upgrade everything and consider resale value, time, inconvenience , frustration, hard to find bulbs, ect. extra 2-300 ain't much.
    I even had to replace fans in mine.

11. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i dont have a odyssea but the one i seen it was to compact for my likeing alot of heat in such a small space i thought if i was him i would tear it down and use the parts and build my own fixture more fans to get the heat out

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats what I did 2 yrs ago. My unit came with 2 internal cooling fans. I took those out and installed 4 fans. Two fans on one side(blowing in the air) and the other two on the other side blowing the air out. So far so good. Luna