Unresolved Odd encrusting coraline looking thing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by SkyFire, Mar 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Looks like a reddish purple coraline algae till you look close then you see a pock mark and if you look sideways you see a clear tube coming from the pock mark.

Anyone know what this is?

From the side (you can see the translucent tube)
    [​IMG]

From Front
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

purple sponge

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Not a clue but that is the exact same stuff that is irritating my blue mushrooms. I've never been able to get a pic that clear of the stuff, which by the way is real spongy and can be peeled off of the rock but grows back quick. All of the pics I've taken make it look like purple CA so I never bothered adding any to my thread.

5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I have a decent camera (8.2 megapixel) and the rock is close to the glass...had to fiddle a bit with settings to get a decent pic. I have a bunch of them (just noticed the details of it though)
    ...haven't tried to peel it off but will since if they are OK for your tank then I want to keep them and plan on nuking the rock due to GHA and that kind of tube snail thing that makes cobwebs in your tank.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I don't know about o.k. that stuff irritates the mushrooms so bad I've considered removing them from the rock they are on. I'm trying to get rid of it myself. But would like to know what it is.:)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/pink-sponge-irritating-mushrooms-84892.html

1 person likes this.
  7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Well if they sting other corals then I'll be nuking them too....just gonna boil some Ro/DI water and pour it over the rock and scrub the GHA off. that way I can let the rock cool and put it back into the tank right away.