Resolved Odd Clownfish behavior.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Nealio, Mar 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I just checked on my 12g tank, and my 2 clowns are laying upright on the sand, breathing normally, but not moving, and I really mean not moving. I have a acrylic stick that I used to move and prod things with and they basically let me push them around. I understand that they may just be sleeping, but they normally don't act like this, if they are touched they usually shoot around the tank trying to get away from whatever it is. My Xoa's were closed up for the night, but strangely my new GSP mats were open. I'm off to test my water now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Nealio

Problem #1 solved, my salinity was a little high. I hadn't realized how much water had evaporated since I keep the tank basically topped of all the time, but the water level was slightly below the rim. So a gallon of RO water later and the salinity was back down. Now the fish are swimming in about the bottom 4 inches of the water column, and not just sitting on the sand. Still going to run the rest of the tests to be safe.

4. Nealio

Glad I kept testing, I forgot to add some Reef Buffer to my jug of RO. So my PH had dropped slightly below 8. Added 1/2 a teaspoon to my power filter to bring that back up slowly. Other than that everything seems in check besides my phosphates.

Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 20 ppm
    PH 7.9 (should be 8.2 by morning)
    Phosphates 2.0 ppm
    KH 11
    Temp 77* F
    Salinity 1.27 (then added a gallon of fresh, so down around 1.024 now)

Seem a little more active now, maybe they were just really tired for once, but usually when I wake them up in the middle of the night they react much quicker than that.

Will definitely update this thread in the morning.

5. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Changing salinity too quickly could cause stress. Try fresh water drip to top off and stabilize salinity.

6. Nealio

False alarm. I woke up this morning and they were swimming around happy as can be. I guess they were just really really tired, and didn't feel like hanging out near the heater like they normally do.