Unresolved OD on PH buffer

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by con999, Jan 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ok this tank is just cycaling but still its relly bad. i have about half about the PH bottle i have fall into the tank. the tank is solid white and im getting somthing whight and relly hard building up on EVERYTHING glass rock filter.i cant see into the tank at all. im going to be online for the next 30 mins so i can answer any qustions. HELP

2. Click Here!

3. con999

btw the tank is 3 weeks old and is a 20 gallon

4. con999

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

the white you see is calcium carbonate precipitation I believe

the good news is there is no long term damage usually done by this kind of accident
    although the build up can mess with pumps, power heads etc
    so a thorough clean in white vinigar and good rinse should help with that issue

your parameters will need checking and testing as in events like this you may have an abnormally high KH and a low calcium level

so clean up
    test the levels
    allow the KH to drop naturally whilst supplementing calcium to return to acceptable reef tank parameters
    Steve

6. con999

how long to it clears. also will it do any permant damge to my pumps

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The precipitate snowstorm will end when it ends. (How's that for an answer? LOL). There's no way of predicting how long the reactions will take.

Your Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity levels are going to be all out of whack so once it clears, you'll have to do a pretty good sized water change. If you do the waterchange while the reactions are taking place, all you'll do is extend the process as opposed to fixing it.

You'll want to run your pumps in a bucket with vinegar until there is no more white coloration on them and they are running smoothly.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You'll be OK. I take you've learned not to have open containers anywhere near the tank, and to never pour anything directly into the tank? Pour it into a cup first, then into the tank. Sorry it had to happen.

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

+1

Also, what kind of buffer was it? The one I have claims that you can't overdose. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't make the tank cloudy as heck!

11. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

A water change will help dilute it.